Despite being the self-proclaimed “Hood Pope,” a title much cooler than any that I have or ever will possess in my lifetime, A$AP Ferg has long been overshadowed by his A$AP Mob cohort, A$AP Rocky. With versatile, differentiating flows and voices, Ferg has always been an entertaining artist, just not on the same superstar level as his internationally acclaimed musical companion. However, Ferg’s talent is undeniable, and his latest album is equipped with 18 tracks of speaker-knocking proof. On Always Strive and Prosper, Ferg’s second studio album, as well as the full meaning behind the A$AP acronym, the Harlem rapper takes a simultaneous step into the spotlight and out of Rocky’s shadow, creating one of the most grippingly transparent and compelling projects of 2016.

Complete with a 47-minute runtime, Always Strive and Prosper shows Ferg’s complete maturation into a hip-hop heavy hitter. The oft-desired bangers begin as early as the second track, “Hungry Ham,” where Skrillex’s experimentally perfect production equips Ferg with the ammunition to obliterate. Referencing the Hamilton Heights neighborhood that Ferg grew up in, the song portrays the harsh realities of a Harlem hood upbringing: “Grandma used to call me Mickey Mouse but I’m no rat/ On the block they threw a couple bullets, Warren Sapp / Seen my n—-‘s family members buggin’ off the crack / Your uncle smell like shit like he got garbage in his ass.” However, what’s most impressive is not the album’s stunning start, but rather Ferg’s ability to maintain fire-scorching levels throughout. The Stelios Phili­ and DJ Mustard-produced “Strive” pairs Ferg with Missy Elliott, complimenting beautifully original production with a sing-and-rap mixture that sounds akin to peak Cudi. Skits are woven in seamlessly throughout, exemplified best by the pristine transition of “Meet My Crazy Uncle (Skit)” into “Psycho,” the captivatingly tragic story of the criminal life of Ferg’s uncle, Psycho.

Features throughout the project are implemented with near perfection. Schoolboy Q’s gritty tale of his own troubled family further intensifies ghetto truths: “Bruh, I miss my crackhead uncle / Sold him dope in by the bundles / Draw down on him, his own gun though / Fuck about family, where’s my hundo?” The aforementioned Missy Elliot brings her legendary status to “Strive,” while Rick Ross bluntly implicates his own criminal endeavors on “Swipe.” (“My goons all in that van / My shoes all in that van / My tools all from Afghan / Poppy seed residue on my hands.”) Future, the king of features, teams up with the ‘Hood Pope’ for aux-cord worthy flame-throwing on “New Level,” a song sure to be soon played within your immediate vicinity. Perhaps most impressive feature-wise is “Yammy Gang,” the A$AP Mob posse cut complete with an appearance from Tatiana Paulina, the mother of the group’s founder, the late A$AP Yams. What elevates the importance of the track isn’t the fact that it includes Rocky and the fellow mob members. Instead, it’s Ferg’s ability to be the brightest shining star out of all who grace the mic. Here, Ferg isn’t just playing second fiddle; he’s leading the orchestra.

The low points of Always Strive and Prosper are few and far between. The Lil Uzi Vert-featured “Uzi Gang” pales in comparison to its “Yammy Gang” predecessor, while Big Sean offers a simply average appearance on “World is Mine.” Also hard to get over is the “World is Mine” hook, where Sean’s rapping of “I’m young, man, and I got everything to lose” sounds weirdly like “A mailman and I got everything to lose,” causing confusion that warrants genius.com clarity. However, other than a couple lackluster non-Ferg moments, Always Strive and Prosper is an undeniable success.

With Always Strive and Prosper, The Hood Pope that is A$AP Ferg is bound to become known far outside of his local stomping grounds. This is the album of a star, positioning Ferg as a future festival headliner instead of just a complimentary name on a line-up. As the album comes to an end with “Grandma,” Ferg’s hauntingly powerful voice yearns for his deceased love one. While he sends his message echoing in the direction of the heavens, word of Ferg’s progress confidently spreads far past the streets of his Hungry Ham beginnings. The A$AP Mob is as powerful as ever, and this time it’s Ferg, not Rocky, inciting the riot.