On Friday, Minnesota pitcher Sara Groenewegen tossed a no-hitter against the Maryland softball team.

The Terps, trying to salvage a win in the finale of their three-game series with the Golden Gophers, had to face the hurler again on Sunday.

Infielder Lindsey Schmeiser started the contest by lacing a line drive to left field as the leadoff hitter, though Minnesota outfielder Kayla Wenner caught it on the run. But Groenewegen then struck out the next six Maryland batters.

In total, Groenewegen notched eight strikeouts, leading the Golden Gophers to a 9-0 win over the Terps. She had a perfect game through four frames but was pulled in the fifth so senior pitcher Nikki Anderson could perform on her Senior Day.

Anderson gave up a fifth-inning single to designated player Sarah Lang to end the no-hit bid, marking the lone Terps baserunner in the contest.

With Maryland’s offense struggling again, the team relied on pitcher Brenna Nation to keep the game close. After she had allowed 10 runs (nine earned) to the Golden Gophers on Friday night, she limited the home team to five runs (four earned) in two innings of work on Sunday.

However, Nation experienced control issues in the third inning. After allowing a leadoff, four-pitch walk, she worked Golden Gophers infielder Maddie Houlihan into a full count. But her last pitch hung over the plate and Houlihan jumped on the mistake, sending it over the center field fence for a two-run home run.

Coach Julie Wright removed Nation in favor of utility player Hannah Dewey after the blast. Dewey finished the frame without further damage.

But in the next inning, Dewey fell victim to the long ball, too. She conceded back-to-back home runs as the Golden Gophers took a commanding 9-0 advantage.

The run-rule loss extended the Terps’ losing streak to 11 games. Their last six defeats have come via the run rule.