By now you’ve probably heard: Maryland basketball’s Melo Trimble has withdrawn from the NBA draft and will return to College Park for one more year . It is no secret Maryland needed him back, as he will be the only remaining starter for the Terps this coming winter. It’s tough for any team to replace four impact starters, so don’t expect this team to be ranked in the top 10 this preseason, but they should be relevant in the Big Ten.

Next, Mark Turgeon will need to decide who will fill the other starting holes. Here’s a look at the guys on the roster who will be competing for the opening starting roles:

SG Jared Nickens

Aside from Trimble, Nickens has seen the most court time of any perimeter player remaining on the roster. As a freshman, he was a studly three-point shooter, shooting 39 percent from beyond the arc, and he was the fourth leading scorer. However, Nickens struggled his sophomore year, his three-point shooting percentage plummeted to 34.7 percent (26.1 in conference play), and his defensive woes became more apparent. Nickens has occasionally shown he can score off the dribble, but he will need to improve on that to earn his spot.

SG Dion Wiley

Wiley missed all of last season after suffering a torn meniscus in the preseason. As a freshman, Wiley was raw, but he showed flashes of his physical abilities. However, the rumors were that Wiley had an extremely impressive summer. Last week, he was cleared for individual on-court work and should get significant playing time with the shooting guard position wide open.

PF/C Michal Cekovsky

Cekovsky’s offensive lapses can be frustrating to watch, but he has bulked up since his freshman days and is a presence underneath the hoop. As an on-ball defender, Cekovsky shined last season when he was tasked with guarding Purdue center AJ Hammons. Coach Turgeon leaned on Damonte Dodd more than Cekovsky, but I fully believe Cekovsky can win the starting spot at center if his post game improves. Ceko has shined at times in both seasons during nonconference play but has disappeared during conference play.

Cekovsky has the highest ceiling of any returning Terp, but whether he becomes the starter depends on how much he improves this offseason.

PF/C Damonte Dodd

While Dodd’s offense is limited, he’s been the go-to rim protector for the Terps. Dodd’s best skill is his shot-blocking, which can totally change the momentum of a game. Like Cekovsky, Dodd’s offense is far from flashy, but he’s not here for offense.

He needs to improve as a rebounder in order to secure a spot as a starter. He’s up against Cekovsky for the starting spot, and because Dodd was able to take minutes away from hyped freshman Diamond Stone this past season, it’s fair to give him the edge.

SF Justin Jackson

Melo Trimble’s return was even bigger than most expected when the news broke that Jackson would decommit from UNLV to come to Maryland. Jackson was recently ranked sixth among small forwards in his class but has fallen to 12 after leaving for College Park, according to 247Sports.

At 6-foot-7 and 220 pounds, the Canadian has the height and size to become a gifted player at the college level but will need to fine-tune his skills to reach his high potential. With all the hype around Jackson, it is hard to see him not becoming a starter with his perimeter presence offensively and potential defensively.

The other incoming freshmen: PG Anthony Cowan (4-star), SG Kevin Huerter (4-star), SF Micah Thomas (3-star)

With Melo Trimble’s return, Cowan and Jalen Brantley will both have to fight for playing time. Cowan was recently compared to stud Kentucky PG Tyler Ulis by ESPN analyst and former coach Fran Fraschilla, according to 247sports. Cowan’s game is a nice compliment to Trimble and the two could see some playing time together, but Maryland has a crowded frontcourt all fighting for the same minutes off the bench.

Huerter has the chance to beat out Wiley coming off injury and three-point specialist Jared Nickens, but again he would have to be ready right out of the gate.

As for Micah Thomas, he appears to be the dark horse to win big minutes. Like his predecessor Jake Layman, Thomas has length; he’s lanky and can shoot the three but is not expected to make a splash this season.

The transfer: F L.G. Gill

Gill is the missing piece that Turgeon was looking for on his roster. Gill can shoot the long-range shot and is a solid rebounder, which is exactly what the Terps needed. Gill will likely take on the role of power forward after posting career highs at Duquesne University (10.1 points and 6.5 rebounds per game). At a long 6-foot-8, he can be versatile for a Maryland team that has more backcourt players than frontcourt players.

My way-too-early projected lineup

PG-Melo Trimble

SG-Jared Nickens

SF-Justin Jackson

PF-L.G. Gill

C-Damonte Dodd

This lineup does not scare people the same way last year’s did, but there’s definitely potential that this team could work its way into the AP rankings.