The 2016 NBA Draft is Thursday, and Maryland has three draft prospects- — forwards Jake Layman and Robert Carter Jr. and center Diamond Stone — approaching the next phase of their basketball careers. These three players, who were in a starting lineup that was widely touted as being among the best in the nation entering this past season, helped the program make its first Sweet 16 appearance in 13 years.

DIAMOND STONE

Stone was widely considered a one-and-done prospect who would be a lottery pick. His freshman campaign may not have lived up to expectations, but he was still able to score 12.5 points, grab 5.4 rebounds and block 1.4 shots per game.

The Milwaukee native scored in a variety of ways using several post moves, though his offensive production was inconsistent at times this season. Stone’s defense became a liability and rim-protector Damonte Dodd continued to compete with Stone for minutes throughout the season.

An underwhelming showing in the NCAA Tournament may have hurt Stone’s stock- — he averaged 7.7 points and 3.7 rebounds per game — yet scouts still see a high upside for Stone and appreciate his soft touch.

“Stone is an undersized five man with excellent potential as a scorer,” said CBS college basketball analyst Clark Kellogg. “With his youth, as his work rate increases he could have a long productive career.”

DraftExpress.com‘s latest mock draft has the Golden State Warriors taking him with the 30th-overall pick, the last selection in the first round.

JAKE LAYMAN

Layman was arguably the most consistent player on Maryland’s roster this past season.

Layman displayed stout on-ball defense, and the senior forward was able to break out offensively down the stretch.

He finished the season averaging 11.6 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.

NBA scouts and draft experts like the 6-foot-9 forward’s ability to space the floor with his three-point shooting, as he shot just under 40 percent from beyond the arc. Layman’s height allows him to play as a stretch power forward, while his speed makes him an viable option to play small forward, too.

“Layman looks to me like a classic utility player,” Kellogg said. “Good athlete, nice stroke, nice size. A solid, productive player.”

DraftExpress.com predicts the Utah Jazz will select Layman in the second round with the 52nd overall pick.

ROBERT CARTER JR.

Carter had a unique path to the draft compared to Maryland’s other prospects, as he played his first two seasons at Georgia Tech before transferring to Maryland. As an undergraduate transfer, Carter was forced to sit out the 2014-15 season, but he scored 12.3 points and grabbed a team-high 6.9 rebounds per game during his only season in College Park.

The Thomasville, Georgia, native impressed scouts with a 22-point performance during a game at the NBA draft combine and his 7-foot-3 wingspan. Carter’s versatile offensive game will likely fit well into the evolving power forward position in the NBA.

DraftExpress has the Orlando Magic taking Carter in the second round with the 47th overall pick.

“Carter has good size, skill and versatility,” Kellogg said. “His mobility, perimeter shooting, ball handling,and rebounding will serve him well as a modern day four man.”

This 2016 draft class will likely tie the 2002 Maryland basketball team for most Terps selected in any draft. After winning the NCAA Tournament, former guard Juan Dixon, forward Chris Wilcox and center Lonny Baxter were all selected. Steve Blake played one more season with the Terps before leaving for the pros.

Similar to that year, Maryland had one draft prospect return to school. After initially declaring for the draft but not hiring an agent, guard Melo Trimble will be back for his junior season.

Maryland has not had a player drafted since the Phoenix Suns selected center Alex Len in 2013.