Growing up watching the Olympics, Mark Turgeon always wanted to represent Team USA. About three months ago, the Maryland’s men’s basketball coach received his opportunity to do so.

The 2015 Big Ten Coach of the Year was selected to be an assistant coach for the 2016 USA men’s under-18 national team, which opened play Tuesday with a win against Puerto Rico in the FIBA Americas U-18 Championship.

Turgeon worked with coach Shaka Smart and assistant Kevin Ollie during seven practices and a scrimmage at Houston before the team announced its 12-man roster July 13.

“It’s an honor to represent your country,” Turgeon said in a release. “We have players with different skillsets who can help us in different areas: shot blockers, scorers on the block, guys who can press and good shooters.”

Turgeon has also had a chance to work with Maryland incoming freshman Kevin Huerter. Turgeon was impressed with the 6-foot-6 guard’s ability to press full court full-court press after predominantly playing zone defense in high school.

“Kevin has shot the ball very well,” Turgeon said. “He has been lot better defensively. He uses his angles as well as his length. Kevin is playing with confidence.”

Team USA earned its second win Wednesday after a 107-63 victory over the U.S. Virgin Islands and continues play today against Chile on Thursday. The championship will be played Saturday.

“We need to be good on that end of the floor and create our opportunities through our defense,” Turgeon said. “It will be a great environment. There is a tremendous fan base [in Chile] and they really get into basketball.”