Mark Wymer has been rooting for Hillary Clinton since 2008.

Wymer, a University of Maryland teaching assistant and second-year doctoral student who studies applied statistics, has donated $1,846 toward Clinton’s campaign for the 2016 presidential election, according to the Federal Election Commission database. And he doesn’t regret it.

“I’ve contributed this much despite barely having enough money,” Wymer said. “It probably wasn’t the most prudent, but … I donated from an emotional place. Hopefully that’s an indicator as how much of a fan I am and how much I support her.”

Wymer is one of more than 40 staff members at this university who have made donations to the Democratic presidential nominee’s campaign. This list includes Stamp Student Union director Marsha Guenzler-Stevens, who has donated $75, according to the FEC database. There were no records found on the database for staff who have donated to Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

Maryland residents have given more than $3 million to the Republican Party and more than $10 million to the Democratic Party, according to the FEC database. Three members of this university’s faculty who have donated, including Wymer, are also listed as students.

The campaign automatically takes a set amount of $50 every month from Wymer’s bank account, which he said is an option each time he donates through Clinton’s donation site. But Wymer said he donated smaller amounts when he felt compelled, such as after speeches and during important primary election nights.

“I’m like, you know what, she has to win, and it was almost like crack -— just donating,” Wymer said. “For me [donating] was the easiest way to feel like I was contributing, and making a difference.”

Maryland has accounted for more than $7 million in donations to Clinton’s campaign and almost $200,000 in donations to Trump, according to the FEC database. Irwin Morris, professor and chair of the Department of Government and Politics, said this difference can be attributed to the candidates’ different fundraising models.

“Part of this may be the fact that [Trump] financed a portion of his campaign in the same way,” Morris said. But the state of Maryland electorate, whose registered Democrats outnumber registered Republicans two to one, also accounts for the disparity in donations, Morris said.

The 2016 presidential election is historic for two reasons, Morris said.

“This would be the first time that a woman has been at the top of the ticket for a major party,” he said. Referring to Trump, he said it is also the first time there has been a candidate “who is neither a politician nor a war hero … since Wendell Willkie [ran] in 1940.”

Catherine McCall, co-coordinator for secondary social studies education at this university, considered Trump’s comments about Clinton playing “the woman card” to be the catalyst behind her decision to donate $2,700 — the maximum amount an individual can donate per election — to Clinton’s campaign.

“I decided to make sure that I was speaking clearly my support for Hillary Clinton,” McCall said.

Senior staff writer Jessica Campisi contributed to this report.