The Maryland football team had a short hydration break during practice Friday, so most of the players took a knee.

But offensive lineman Maurice Shelton remained on his feet. As Shelton walked around, he patted teammates on the head, offering encouragement and acknowledging everyone as he passed them.

“Whenever I can I try to pick everyone up around me, just for the team,” Shelton said. “Whatever I can to do to help the team, it’s all about us.”

And after playing sporadically during this first four seasons in College Park, Shelton is in contention to make contributions on the field, too. Shelton took reps as the first-team right guard during Friday’s practice, and the former walk-on continues to draw praise from Maryland’s new coaching staff.

“I was never sure I was going to get it, but we just kept working as a team and I kept working with [offensive lineman Michael] Dunn, who also came in [as a walk-on],” Shelton said “I’m just glad I’m having this opportunity to help the team as much as possible.”

Early in Shelton’s career, the two-time Big Ten All-Academic selection barely saw the field, making only eight appearances and two starts in the previous four seasons. He found success off the field but struggled to compete on the gridiron.

Nevertheless, the mechanical engineering major continued to learn and improve, something his coaches have recognized early on. In coach DJ Durkin’s ultra-competitive environment, players are expected to always stay ready and take advantage of the opportunities when they arrive.

Durkin has seen Shelton accomplish just that.

“He’s just a worker,” Durkin said. “He’s probably one of the most consistent guys when you say who’s the hardest worker, who are the guys that really bust their behind the most, he’s in that group always.”

Shelton credits much of his improvement to new strength and conditioning coach Rick Court. In addition to a revamped diet with around 4,000 calories, Shelton said he’s put on plenty of muscle and built up his stamina in workouts.

“It’s really just changed the energy and the culture,” Shelton said. “We spent our whole summer with coach Court and his staff working, and it’s just high intensity and high energy all the time. It’s just go, go, go.”

In one drill on Friday, Shelton lined up against a rotation of defensive lineman that included Roman Braglio and Oseh Saine. With ease, Shelton ushered his opposition to his left and away from the quarterback’s pocket as the coaches clapped and yelled out his name in excitement.

Where Shelton is now is a culmination of what’s he’s been able to accomplish during the spring and summer workouts. And while the Greenbelt native doesn’t know if he’ll be starting the Terps’ opener against Howard on Sept. 3, the work he’s put in is paying off.

“He’s been rewarded for that, and he’s making the most of his reps and doing a great job,” Durkin said.