When the Pittsburgh Steelers selected former Maryland defensive back Sean Davis in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft, some thought the choice was a reach, while others thought he’d need some refinement if he wanted to emerge as more than just a depth guy.

“Davis is an eventual starter at safety and a big backup at cornerback,” NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein wrote in his evaluation of Davis leading up to the draft. Turns out Zierlein underestimated the ex-Terp a bit.

The first-year pro will be the Steelers’ primary slot corner Monday night when the team opens up the season at FedEx Field against the Redskins. And, if he’s on the field for the opening defensive snap, he’d be the first rookie to start in the team’s secondary in Week 1 in almost 20 years. Regardless, with the way NFL franchises throw the ball these days, Davis will most likely see a ton of action in his debut and beyond.

The D.C. native used to call the Redskins his favorite team, but at kickoff, anyone dressed in burgundy and gold will be a foe rather than a friend. Trying to prove those who doubt him wrong will likely be the only thing on his mind, though – so he probably won’t feel too bad if he hurts the organization he once loved.

Davis will be the third member of the 2015 Terrapins to get a taste of the next level in the past day or so, joining Quinton Jefferson and Yannick Ngakoue.