Maryland volleyball freshman middle blocker Katie Myers missed the team’s first nine games due to a torn ACL, but she returned to the starting lineup to make her program debut against No. 5 Washington on Sept. 15.

The Westerville, Ohio, native was ranked the No. 62 incoming recruit by PrepVolleyball, so the Terps were excited to have her back on the court. Coach Steve Aird had expected her return to give the team its best possible lineup.

But in the second set against the Huskies, Myers reinjured her knee and had to exit with ice around her leg. While the extent of her injury is not yet known —she hasn’t played the past four matches — players said the incident left them emotional.

Opposite hitter Angel Gaskin, who tore her ACL when she was in high school, called her teammate’s setback “heartbreaking.”

“I’ve been in her position before … so when I saw her get hurt it kind of just hit home,” Gaskin said. “I know that feeling of being back and able to start playing, and then the last thing you ever want to do is just hurt yourself again.”

Aird was disappointed Myers suffered another injury after she had worked so hard to get back on the court, but he emphasized that she is still at the beginning of a long career.

“Sometimes things happen for a reason,” Aird said. “Hopefully she can get healthy. When she does she is going to be a big part of this program for a long time.”