The Maryland football team’s running back depth has been the focal point of its offense through the first five games of the season, but the rotation suffered a blow this week.

In his weekly press conference Tuesday, coach DJ Durkin announced running back Trey Edmunds has fractured his right foot and will miss “several weeks.” The first-year coach expects Edmunds will have surgery at the end of the week.

“It hurt me big to say that, and I just spent some time with Trey here this morning before I came over to the press conference,” Durkin said. “There’s not a finer young man. Trey has done anything and everything that’s been asked of him since he’s been here with our team.”

Edmunds is a graduate transfer from Virginia Tech, and five games through his redshirt freshman season, he’s logged 26 carries for 158 yards and one touchdown. He gained 10 yards on three carries Saturday against Penn State.

The Danville, Virginia, native has also established a role on special teams. Against Howard, he returned a blocked punt for a touchdown with his dad, Ferrell Edmunds Jr. — a former Maryland tight end from 1984 to 1987 — in the crowd.

“Although he’s only been here with us for this season, we consider him a leader,” Durkin said. “He’s been phenomenal, unselfish football [player] in a great rotation of running backs and playing on all special teams.

“He’s shown up a bunch, making plays for us, and just feel for him. That’s a senior that now, you know, a significant amount of playing time will be taken from him.”

Durkin said Edmunds suffered the injury in Monday’s non-contact practice. Edmunds rolled his foot and continued practicing for the rest of the session. But after icing his foot in the training room and getting X-rays taken, the Terps discovered the fracture.

Durkin didn’t offer a timetable on Edmunds’ recovery, but his teammates expect him to return to form when he’s healthy.

“He’s going to bounce back,” cornerback Will Likely said. “Trey’s a pretty strong dude, so he’ll bounce back easily.”