In the Maryland women’s soccer team’s game last Sunday, Penn State scored all three of its goals off corner attempts. The Terps surrendered a late corner goal to Purdue in their loss Thursday, too.

Sunday afternoon at Ludwig Field, Indiana became the latest team to capitalize on a set piece against coach Ray Leone’s defense as the Terps fell 1-0 for their seventh straight loss.

Midfielder Hope Gouterman said the team needs to change its attitude. Forward Madison Turner thinks the pattern shows the Terps’ hesitancy. Leone, who has coached in college for more than 20 years, has “never seen anything” like his squad’s shortcomings against opponents’ corners.

“I feel like we’re being a little tentative on corners, which is something that we’ve struggled with early in the season,” Turner said. “A lot of it comes from inexperience. It’s just a matter of being aggressive.”

In the 34th minute, Indiana defender Marissa Borschke headed the ball into the upper right corner of the net to give the Hoosiers their advantage.

The Hoosiers also had a corner look in the fourth minute but didn’t record a shot. Still, the sequence showed Indiana how to approach its next chance.

“We were knocking on the door there,” Indiana coach Amy Berbary said. “It was a matter of being able to break free and then actually heading the ball. I don’t think the keeper had a chance.”

Indiana outshot the Terps, 10-6, capitalizing on one of its six corners. Maryland’s defense kept the Hoosiers, who have won three one-goal games this season, off the board in the run of play.

Maryland’s offensive struggles continued, though.

Leone said before the game he wanted the Terps to generate more shots, and they responded.

But Maryland’s scoreless streak reached 371 minutes, and even with Leone using top scoring threats in forwards Chelsea Jackson and Jarena Harmon intermittently, the Terps had difficulty creating consistent offensive chances.

The team’s best scoring opportunity came in the 55th minute off defender Marisa Knott’s corner attempt. Jackson headed the ball toward the net, but it landed just wide of the left pipe.

“I’ve been through droughts, but not ones that lasted this long,” Leone said. “Especially when you have people that can do it. The other team got one. The game before, they got one. You can’t keep everything out.”

As the Terps prepare for their final two contests against Iowa and Minnesota, Gouterman said the Terps need to change their attitude in defending corners and better protect the net.

But Sunday, the Terps lacked that discipline, and the team again suffered a defeat as a result of the set piece.

“We just have to have the mentality that we’re going to get the ball out of there and not let them get a piece of it,” Gouterman said. “We have to protect our goal. We’re taking steps to eliminate [scores off corners].”