For Maryland’s upcoming game against Michigan State, we wanted to get the lowdown on everything you need to know about the Spartans. So we found two experts: Nathaniel Bott of the State News and Omari Sankofa II of the Detroit Free Press.

For people who have not had much a chance to watch MSU this year, can you summarize the issues they have had this year?

Omari Sankofa II, the Detroit Free Press: The primary issue is that MSU lost many of its best players — Connor Cook, Shilique Calhoun, Jack Conklin, Aaron Burbridge and Donovan Clark — to the 2016 NFL Draft.

Several other key players and leaders from last season have graduated, leaving a relatively young core behind. MSU has not seen enough of its young players step up to mitigate the loss. MSU’s linebacker unit, the most talented position unit entering the season, has been weakened by injuries. Fifth year senior and co-captain Riley Bullough, perhaps the most valuable defensive player on the team, recently missed three games due to injury, all losses.

In all, it is a transition year. Young players are gaining valuable experience, but the skill level just is not there for MSU to compete for a full 60 minutes yet.

Is Mark Dantonio in any danger of losing his job after MSU’s start to this season? Do you think he should be?

Sankofa II: Given MSU’s past success, it is bewildering that the Spartans have arguably been one of the worst teams in the Big Ten through six games.

However, it is that same past success that gives head coach Mark Dantonio a large degree of leeway as the Spartans sort out their issues. MSU has played in nine consecutive bowl games, and the last three years have ended in a Rose Bowl win, Cotton Bowl win and College Football Playoff loss.

You do not fire a head coach of Dantonio’s caliber after a single down year. Additionally, athletic director Mark Hollis is not one to make rash decisions. Dantonio’s job in East Lansing is safe.

What would be the importance of getting a win on the road, in conference play, for MSU on Saturday?

Nathaniel Bott, the State News: It would obviously be huge for them just in terms of ending their four game skid. Big picture, the Spartans have about four winnable games left on their schedule. A win could help the confidence level and potentially get them into a bowl game.

What is one thing MSU has been able to do well this season?

Bott: I think that MSU has seen some success when they pick up the tempo offensively. Dantonio and his staff have their game plan, but when they change it up and incorporate some wrinkles into the offense, it has paid off for them this year.

Who are some players you would want Maryland fans to keep an eye on?

Sankofa II: Junior Malik McDowell has moved back to the defensive end position after spending most of the season at defensive tackle. McDowell is a powerful edge-rusher and playmaker when engaged, and if he can consistently get to Maryland’s quarterback it will make life easier for the rest of the defense.

Senior RJ Shelton is also a capable playmaker. He had seven receptions for 190 yards and two touchdowns against Northwestern last week.

Fill in the blank: MSU wins if they ________

Bott: MSU wins if they can find a way to get off the field on third-down. It sums up a lot of their deficiencies late in the game and why they have allowed a lot more points in the second half compared to the first. The defense gets tired and it really shows. If they can do that, and run the ball more effectively than the past two weeks, they could leave College Park with a win.