A Prince George’s County judge has vacated the manslaughter conviction of a former University of Maryland student who punched fellow student Jack Godfrey in a 2013 altercation, which led to Godfrey’s death.
Arasp Biparva, 25, pleaded guilty in November 2015 to manslaughter in Godfrey’s death. Judge Albert Northrop vacated this conviction Oct. 11, The Washington Post reported Friday.
Biparva also received “probation before judgment,” which means the charges can later be expunged from his record, according to The Post.
Police arrested Biparva for punching Godfrey outside Cornerstone Loft and Grill in March 2013. The punch left an avocado-sized hole in Godfrey’s head, and he died suddenly in 2014 from a seizure related to his injuries, according to a Sept. 12 Diamondback article.
With the conviction off his record, Biparva can file to expunge his record in three years.
“There is no question but that this is a tragic and most unfortunate case,” Northrop wrote, according to The Washington Post. “Having reviewed once again the entire matter along with the numerous letters offered and the arguments of counsel, the court is satisfied that the balance of justice is on the side of the Defendant’s motion.”
Biparva’s attorney said the modified sentence will help his client find a job in accounting, The Post reported Friday.