While no one can match the one held by the Chicago Cubs until their World Series victory over the Cleveland Indians, all sports teams have their own respective droughts. The Maryland men’s basketball team is no exception to that rule, so — as inspired by the Cubs — here are three droughts the Terps should look to end this season.

Producing a National Player of the Year who does his work in College Park

Only one Maryland player has ever won the Naismith College Player of the Year award, and that was Joe Smith in 1995. Don’t let the supremely boring name fool you (let’s put it this way: if his name was a bag of chips, it’d be Classic Lay’s), because Smith could ball. But it’s been more than 20 years since a Terrapin was hailed as college basketball’s best performer.

Only one member of this year’s squad even has a somewhat realistic chance to end this streak, and that’s Melo Trimble. He had a down sophomore campaign, sure, but as a freshman, he was All-Big Ten and regarded as one of the sport’s most elite guards. The talent is still there, but whether his confidence is remains to be seen. Even then, it’s a long shot, but much crazier things have happened than a smooth point guard from a recognizable program winning the Naismith.

Plus, his name is 100 times cooler than Smith’s; we’re talking a Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos-caliber name here, folks.

Reaching the Elite Eight

Maryland won their lone national title back in the 2002 NCAA Tournament. Believe it or not, that’s the last time the Terps made it past the Sweet Sixteen.

In the 14 seasons since, the Terps haven’t advanced to the Elite 8. That means the Sweet Sixteen has been more like the Take a Seat Sixteen, or the Time to Get Beat Sixteen, or the You’re Dead Meat Sixteen. None of those are nearly as uplifting as the Sweet Sixteen.

Going through a season without a Damonte Dodd three-pointer

Enough is e-freaking-‘nough. Damonte Dodd has been a Terp for three seasons, and he hasn’t made a shot from beyond the arc. In fact, he hasn’t even attempted a shot from long distance. To put it simply: Sprint has better long-range capabilities than Dodd.

This season, that needs to change. Dodd showed glimpses — yeah, they were slight ones, but they were glimpses nonetheless — of a midrange jumper as a junior, and as a senior, he ought to be allowed to stretch his game even more.

After all, Godzilla wasn’t really scary until he started stomping on buildings. Doddzilla won’t be really scary until he starts shooting the trey.