For many University of Maryland students, the 2016 elections marked the first time they could cast ballots. Here’s a look at why some students opted to exercise their right to vote on Tuesday:

9:10 a.m. at Stamp Student Union

“It was my first election so I felt it was like my civic duty to come and vote and share my mind on this year’s election.”

— Wilson Matasi, sophomore finance major

10:16 a.m. at Stamp Student Union

“It’s extremely important to go do your civic duty, especially because of the people who fought for women to vote. African Americans couldn’t vote … they fought to vote — it’s extremely important to not take that for granted, the civic duty that so many people fought for.”

— Shannon Hall, senior international business major

12 p.m. at Stamp Student Union

“Voting is important, people think their vote doesn’t matter but it does, and you have to make your voice heard.”

—Austin Gray, sophomore enrolled in letters and sciences

“I decided to vote because of my ancestors mostly. They died for my right to vote and I want to make them proud.”

—Milan Barry-Pollock, senior criminal justice major

“Voting is a privilege, and I wanted to take advantage of that privilege.”

— Jacob Drohet, freshman enrolled in letters and sciences

12 p.m. at Ritchie Coliseum

“I voted for the Senate and the House of Representatives. Last night I just researched a little bit. I already knew a little bit about [them]; I was trying to read up more on the courts.”

— Aida Bagheri-Hamaneh, sophomore environmental science major

12:30 p.m. at Stamp Student Union

“I voted for Hillary. I feel like we’ve got to do whatever we can to keep Donald Trump out of office. He’s a nightmare.”

— Samantha Kosmas, senior government and politics major

“I plan on voting for Trump. I agree with him more on some key issues to me, such as Supreme Court cases.”

— Christina O’Connell, junior finance and account major

“[Voting] is a must. You have that right. You should go ahead and use it.”

“I mean, I have no choice but to vote for Hillary. Donald Trump is too crazy.”

—Sara-Ruth Gabriel, senior African-American studies major

“[Trump] is funny on TV but in the Oval Office, I don’t think so. I hope Hillary wins and that Trump just doesn’t run again.”

— Felix Cortes, freshman enrolled in letters and sciences

“I’ve always been taught that it’s my civic duty to vote, and I believe strongly in democracy and think that the only way you can waste your vote is if you don’t vote.”

— Claire O’Connell, senior genetics and cell biology major

“I’m not really excited about either candidate, so I’m really just in it for the sticker”

— Ida Hailu, sophomore communications major

1 p.m. at Stamp Student Union

“I followed Kathy Szeliga and Chris Van Hollen. I know a bit about their backgrounds. I voted for Kathy Szeliga because I think she has a better position on most things than Chris Van Hollen.”

— Ben Colebrook, freshman computer science major

“It’s an incredible privilege and a responsibility as a citizen. … This is a historic vote.”

“I voted for the person who I think is good for the future of the country, but that’s my own personal view.”

— University president Wallace Loh

1 p.m. outside Ritchie Coliseum

“I voted for Chris Van Hollen, my dad voted for Chris Van Hollen and worked for his campaign.”

— Jim Neher of Calvert Hills

1:18 p.m. at Stamp Student Union

“In a lot of places in the world, people aren’t allowed to vote. It’s something they really fight for. And I’m given this opportunity living in America with freedom of speech, a lot of freedoms, and I thought I’d exercise my right to vote because it’s an opportunity that I shouldn’t take for granted.”

— Andrew Pitkoff, freshman finance major

2:45 p.m. at Ritchie Coliseum

“It’s my first time and I kind of honestly felt like I had to [vote]. I personally think my vote doesn’t really matter, but everyone said that’s not true. And I also really don’t want Trump to win.”

— Taylor Brinks, sophomore environmental science major

“Today I wanted to vote because the right to vote is something that has been fought for in the past, especially in the Civil Rights Era. Being an African American, I had to come out here and vote.”

— Drew Tawiah, sophomore government and politics major

“It’s my first time. I definitely want to make a difference, have an impact. I made my parents proud.”

“I think it’s interesting to see everyone’s patriotism and how people are very enthusiastic about this election, especially on a college campus. It inspires a lot of people.”

— Eliana Keimach, junior communications major

3:45 p.m. at Stamp Student Union

“I’m personally part of a couple of different marginalized populations that Trump has made really offensive towards. And his policies would directly affect me, so I’m very much hoping that he does not win the White House, because that would be really bad for me as a disabled, queer woman.”

— Savannah Speir, junior molecular genetics and cell biology major