The Maryland men’s basketball team is coming off its first Sweet 16 appearance since 2003. The Terps lost four starters from that squad, though, leaving time on the floor for newcomers who coach Mark Turgeon said will contribute right away. In the days leading up to Maryland’s season opener against American on Friday, The Diamondback sports desk will profile four new players capable of making an immediate impact.

READ MORE: Justin Jackson | L.G. Gill | Anthony Cowan

***

This summer, Maryland men’s basketball guard Kevin Huerter played in the FIBA Americas U18 Championships, an experience he said proved the level of talent he needed to reach in college. Yet, Huerter also developed a valuable relationship off the court.

Coach Mark Turgeon served as an assistant coach for Huerter’s team. So outside of practice, the pair ate lunch together and talked frequently on bus rides around Chile, where the tournament took place.

While Huerter learned what to expect before his freshman season from his coach, the rookie is still adjusting to the college game. Still, Huerter’s complete skill set has made him a standout newcomer in Turgeon’s mind.

“He’s one of the best shooters I’ve been around consistently,” Turgeon said. “He’s really improved since USA basketball, becoming a better defender. He thinks like a point guard, so he can really fling it and pass it. He’s great in a lot of different areas.”

ESPN rated Huerter a four-star recruit and the 40th best player in the 2016 class, while Scout.com ranked him the best shooting guard in New York.

Huerter’s offensive prowess made him a star at Shenendehowa Central School, but the Clifton Park, New York, native has found it harder to finish around the basket in college.

At 6-foot-7 and 190 pounds, the physicality of college has been Huerter’s biggest adjustment. Scoring against forwards Damonte Dodd and Michal Cekovsky in practice has highlighted Huerter’s need to develop strength.

Yet Huerter said playing in Turgeon’s motion offense has helped him find driving lanes and open shots.

Guards Melo Trimble and Anthony Cowan like to drive to the basket, drawing defenders on their way. Huerter hopes that will lead to him staying open on the perimeter.

“College strength is no joke,” Huerter said. “Playing against guys who get up underneath and use your strength against you, it’s definitely something you have to get used to. I’m just trying to be versatile. Coach Turgeon is looking at me to play different positions.”

With Huerter’s wide skill set, Turgeon has also used the rookie on throw-ins. Huerter played center fielder and pitcher in high school, so his arm strength has helped him make long, crisp passes.

When he was learning the playbook, Huerter leaned on guards Jared Nickens and Dion Wiley. Maryland’s coaching staff, which Huerter felt comfortable with after visiting the campus last September, also helped ease the newcomer into the Terps’ offense that Huerter “loved every part of.”

“Kevin’s a great shooter, but not only is he a great shooter, he’s a playmaker,” forward Justin Jackson said. “That’s one of the things people take for granted with Kevin. He can handle the ball. He’s really good in ball screens, and he’s really good with finding people.”

On and off the court, Huerter has had assistance adjusting to college with five others in the Terps’ freshmen class. They’ve helped each other learn plays, adapt to their class workload and bond off the court.

Huerter didn’t get a head start on learning Turgeon’s offense this summer because Turgeon worked under Texas coach Shaka Smart on the FIBA Americas team. But Huerter learned how athletic the world’s top talent is by playing other countries, so he focused on improving his defense for this season.

Now, Huerter wants to show his skill set can thrive against the nation’s top college teams.

“You really can’t rattle him,” Turgeon said. “He’s got a little bit of Melo in him. He plays at the pace he wants to play at.”