Outside hitter Gia Milana is the first Big Ten All-Freshman team honoree in Maryland volleyball history, the conference announced Tuesday.

In addition to being unanimously selected for the distinction, Milana is also an All-Big Ten Honorable Mention.

After arriving in College Park as Maryland’s highest ranked recruit ever, she started all 32 matches and led the conference’s freshmen in kills per set.

“This is an incredible honor, not just for me but for my team,” Milana said in a release. “I’m super excited for the direction this team is moving in. We have a lot of talent coming in, and I can’t wait to continue growing as a Terp.”

Milana recorded double-digit kills in 26 matches, including a season-high 23 against Purdue on Nov. 2. Overall, she notched 446 kills, setting a Maryland single-season freshman record.

She was the Big Ten’s Freshman of the Week on Nov. 14 for her performances against then-No. 10 Penn State and Rutgers.

While coach Steve Aird praised her on-court ability, he was also impressed with her work ethic and her perseverance through injuries during Big Ten competition.

“We’re proud of Gia and the success she’s had as a freshman in this program,” Aird said in a release. “She’s an elite player who wants to put in the work and continue to get better … [She] is an important piece as the team continues to welcome new talent and grow, and we look forward to seeing her continue to get better.”