Maryland football cornerback Will Likely had made 153 special teams returns before fielding a kickoff early in the second quarter against Minnesota earlier this season.

Some of those had gone for touchdowns, earning him All-American recognition and conference accolades. Others ended in a tackle, like the one against the Golden Gophers.

But that return Oct. 15 had a twist the previous ones hadn’t. On that play, Likely’s right knee buckled. He jogged off the field, but when the trainers on the sideline examined his leg, it started throbbing.

A few days later, the program announced Likely had suffered a torn ACL. His Maryland career was over. About seven weeks after, his NFL future remains uncertain as months of rehabilitation loom.

“I don’t know, I may just not be the best with words because I don’t know the right words to describe him,” coach DJ Durkin said with eyes glistening after the Terps’ win against Rutgers to clinch a bowl appearance Likely won’t make. “What he’s meant to this program, to this team, to his senior class, to me, personally, I don’t know. I can’t make a statement to measure up enough to say that’s what he meant.

“It’s hard for me to talk about it. I get emotional about it, and you know, Will has, I believe, football in his future, and I know no matter where football leads him or wherever that does end, he’ll be successful.”

The news was also difficult for Likely to comprehend.

He was “moping around” for a few hours, upset about the abrupt end to his senior season. He forwent declaring for the NFL draft to return to College Park after multiple one-on-one conversations with Durkin in January.

Likely then resolved to attack rehab with professional goals in mind. Still, he had trouble joining the team for group meetings.

“He loves it so much that it hurts him to be around,” defensive coordinator Andy Buh said. “He had to stay away when it first happened. He just couldn’t. He couldn’t come around because it hurt so bad.”

So Likely channeled his leadership on the individual level. He sends players texts with ways to improve in practices and games. He watches film with the Terps’ newcomers to help establish good study habits.

The coaches appreciated the input for a secondary worn down with veteran injuries. Younger players, such as Elijah and Elisha Daniels, twin defensive backs from Florida who chose Maryland in part because of Likely’s success, earned more responsibilities and relied on his advice.

“Everything that you kind of paint that picture of what you want a teammate, a friend, what you would kind of imagine your heroes to be like, I mean, he is that,” offensive coordinator Walt Bell said. “He’s the star of his own movie.”

As Likely settled into his new role and the Terps endured one of their hardest stretches in program history, facing three of the Big Ten’s top powers in consecutive weeks, Likely took a vocal lead.

He spoke in a team meeting before Maryland played Nebraska, preaching for his teammates not to take their talent and opportunity for granted. They could be playing one day and out for the season the next. He wanted them to cherish their brotherhood and time in a Terps uniform.

“We definitely thought about him as he couldn’t play with us,” cornerback Alvin Hill said. “We went into battle with that one.”

While the Terps finished their regular season, Likely progressed in rehab. He said last week doctors estimated he’s about two-and-a-half weeks ahead of his five- to six-month recovery timeline. He competes in two-a-day sessions with safety Denzel Conyers, who tore his ACL in September, and the trainers have to hold the duo back on exercises.

“I can do it,” Likely said with a smile, “but they just want me to, like, just take it in, go with the regular protocol.”

One aspect Likely isn’t pushing is his NFL future. He hasn’t dwelled on how he’ll fit as a return specialist or slot corner and has faith in teams taking chances on him as his health improves.

He looks to players such as Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu and Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller. They’ve each suffered torn ACLs but had successful returns.

Plus, Carolina Panthers wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin and San Diego Chargers wide receiver Travis Benjamin contacted Likely soon after his injury.

The two endured torn ACLs in the NFL and gave advice to their fellow Glades Central High School graduate.

“Definitely drives me to get back to moving how I want to move and just try to be better than that guy was before,” Likely said. “It’ll be a new version of Will Likely.”