University of Maryland Police responded to reports of a suspicious automobile, embezzlement and theft this week, among other incidents.

Suspicious Person/Automobile

University Police responded to reports of a suspicious vehicle in the area of Mowatt Lane Garage at 10:36 p.m. Monday. A student Police Auxiliary aide saw a woman hanging out of a moving vehicle yelling for help, said Hoaas.

Officers searched the area for the vehicle but were unable to locate it. The department’s Security Operations Center provided a better description of the vehicle based on camera footage and shared this description with neighboring police jurisdictions, Hoaas said.

Embezzlement

University Police met with a male student for a report of an embezzlement scheme at 4 p.m. Monday.

The student applied for a job and later received a check from the company, said University Police spokeswoman Sgt. Rosanne Hoaas.

The company instructed him to deposit the check and send a percentage back to the company, Hoaas said.

The student did not comply and reported the incident to university police.

“This is a scam,” Hoaas said. “If it sounds too good to be true, then it usually is. Report incidents to police right away.”

Theft

At about 1:30 p.m. on March 3, University Police responded to a report of an attempted theft at Denton Dining Hall.

A university employee found a man in possession of food he did not pay for, according to police reports. The man left the scene before officers arrived, but police know his identity, Hoaas said. The employee was told to contact the department if the man returned. The case is closed.

University Police responded to a report of bicycle theft on Rowalt Drive on Friday at 9:07 p.m. A male university student noticed his bike was missing at about 10:30 a.m. on March 2, Hoaas said. The student told an officer he last saw his bike on Feb. 27, secured with a cable lock, Hoaas said.

The department will review camera footage from the area, and the case remains open, according to police reports.

Police also responded to a report of theft near Annapolis Hall at 1:54 p.m. The case remains open.

Assault

On March 2 at 12:17 a.m., University Police responded to the 4400 block of Knox Road for a report of an assault, according to police reports. The incident resulted in an arrest.

Vandalism

At 7:31 a.m. Sunday, a male university student reported that his vehicle was damaged between 10 p.m. Friday and 7 a.m. Sunday.

The vehicle was parked in Lot J2 and the windshield was damaged, according to police reports.

The department will review camera footage from the area, and the case remains open.

Police also responded to reports of vandalism at Leonardtown Apartments on 7567 Yale Ave at 11:03 a.m. Sunday.

The case remains open.