The Trump administration is fighting for its revised travel ban after federal judges in Greenbelt, Maryland and Hawaii issued orders blocking it earlier this week.
The Justice Department filed a notice in federal court in Maryland Friday to appeal the court rulings, which found that the ban barring citizens of six predominantly Muslim countries from entering the United States likely violated the First Amendment.
The case will proceed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, located in Richmond, Virginia.
President Trump unveiled his revised travel ban March 6, after federal courts suspended his original executive order issued Jan. 27. The new ban prevents citizens of six countries — Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen — from entering the United States for 90 days. It also bars all refugees from entering the country for 120 days. Trump's original order also applied to citizens of Iraq, and suspended entry of Syrian refugees indefinitely.
The new ban also lessened restrictions on green card holders, and was scheduled to go into effect on Thursday.
On Thursday, Judge Theodore D. Chuang of Greenbelt's U.S. District Court suspended the portion of the ban that prevents citizens in Iran, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Sudan and Libya from being issued visas. A federal judge in Hawaii issued a nationwide order against the entire ban Wednesday.
Omar Jadwat, an ACLU lawyer who represented the plaintiffs in the Maryland case, told The Washington Post that Trump's travel ban "has fared miserably in the courts, and for good reason — it violates fundamental provisions of our Constitution. We look forward to defending this careful and well-reasoned decision in the appeals court.''
Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh joined 13 other states in a lawsuit against Trump's revised ban on Monday.
Derrick K. Watson, judge of the U.S. District Court in Honolulu, wrote in his ruling Wednesday that "the Executive Order was issued with a purpose to disfavor a particular religion."
After Watson's decision, Trump assured his supporters at a Nashville rally that he would not back down, The Washington Post reported.
"We're going to fight this terrible ruling," Trump said. "We're going to take our case as far as it needs to go, including all the way up to the Supreme Court."
He also called the revised travel ban a "watered-down version of the first one."
"I think we ought to go back to the first one and go all the way, which is what I wanted to do in the first place," Trump said.