While his former Maryland football teammates powered through the 40-yard dash and cone agility drills, cornerback Will Likely sat in the Maryland Stadium end zone in sweatpants and a sweatshirt, stretching and waiting for his Pro Day chance.

The separation wasn’t much different than the second half of his senior season, when he rehabilitated a torn ACL that ended his All-American career in mid-October while his team secured bowl eligibility.

But Likely’s wait ended when Wednesday morning’s workout transitioned to positional drills. He spent about 20 minutes in front of 27 NFL scouts backpedaling, cutting and catching for his most extensive professional evaluation yet.

“It is a fast turnaround, but the kid fights like a dog,” said former defensive lineman Roman Braglio. “He’s got the work ethic of some of the best around.”

Likely’s performance was rusty. He dropped a few passes on short patterns to the left and stumbled on a couple of cuts.

But with a brace on his right knee about five months after surgery, he said doing on-field work gave him confidence before the NFL Draft on April 27 to 29.

[Read more: “It hurt so bad”: Will Likely recovers from his ACL tear with his NFL dreams in mind]

After all, his experience at the combine in February was limited. As the lone Terp of about 330 prospects invited, Likely participated in the bench press — he managed 15 reps at 225 pounds — and met with teams for interviews.

“A lot of testing,” Likely joked as he described questions that ranged from standard strengths and weakness inquires to whether he brushes his teeth in the morning.

But his limited performance at the combine left him “hungrier” because he had to watch other cornerback and special teams prospects log statistics in on-field work.

“I like it,” Likely said. “I’m a chippy person, so it worked in my favor.”

He used that edge while preparing for Pro Day with a trainer in Arizona and anticipates it’ll drive him in upcoming private workouts. Likely declined to name specifics, but he said his agent is arranging visits with about five teams in the next month. Likely estimates he’ll be at full strength come training camp in July.

His teammates expect the same.

Former wide receiver Levern Jacobs has kept in contact with Likely while training for Pro Day in Florida. Jacobs knew Likely would do the drills, and he wasn’t surprised that the corner had a “great” showing.

“He’s a hell of an athlete, excuse my language,” Jacobs said. “Any team that gets him is going to be lucky. They’re going to get a steal. He’s a great athlete and a great talent.”

Former running back Trey Edmunds, meanwhile, experienced the Belle Glade, Florida, native’s grind firsthand. Edmunds suffered a season-ending fractured foot a week before Likely’s injury, and the duo bonded in the training room, pushed each other through rehab and watched away games together in College Park.

“He has a lot of heart,” Edmunds said, “and he’s the type of guy that telling him no and telling him what he can’t do is only going to add fuel to his fire.”

That’s why Likely isn’t worried that ESPN ranks him with a 35 “borderline draft prospect” grade or CBS projects him to go undrafted as the No. 41 corner. He trusts the preparation for Pro Day will help him earn a selection during the draft weekend.

“Just keeping humble, just working through the process,” Likely said. “Hopefully my name does get called.”