Michigan State took advantage of runners in scoring position to beat Maryland softball, 11-3, in six innings. The Spartans also benefited from Terps pitchers serving up nine walks in the series opener.

Michigan State (17-11, 1-3 Big Ten) entered the weekend fourth in the nation in slugging percentage (.549), and the Spartans showed it in the first inning. Infielder Sarah Gutknecht hit a two-run double past the diving Amanda Brashear in left field. Then infielder McKenzie Long singled to score Gutknecht, putting her team up, 3-0.

Maryland (7-24-1, 0-4) loaded the bases in the third and fourth innings before evening the score, but the Terps stranded eight runners in the first four innings and lacked the crucial hit they needed to surge ahead. The Terps went 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position and 0-for-5 with bases loaded. Maryland batters struck out eight times, including back-to-back strikeouts in the second inning with runners on first and second.

In the third, Ellazar grounded into a fielder’s choice to score the first run, and designated player Hannah Dewey followed with an RBI single to slim Michigan State’s lead to one. With bases loaded in the fourth, infielder Anna Kufta reached base after an error by Long at shortstop, scoring pinch runner Sami Main to tie the game.

But Michigan State, which hit .286 with runners in scoring position Friday, responded. After pitcher Madison Martin walked in a run with the bases loaded in the fourth, designated player Kelcey Carrasco hit a bases-clearing double to take a 7-3 lead.

Pitcher Lauren Graves replaced Martin in the circle in the fifth inning, her ninth appearance this season with the Terps trailing. Michigan State scored three runs without a hit in the frame.

The freshman began the inning by pegging a batter and walking the next two. Two hitters later, an error by Skylynne Ellazar at second based resulted in two runs. Then a wild pitch scored gave the Spartans a 10-3 advantage.

Martin reentered in the sixth, but two walks and a single loaded the bases for Michigan State. While infielder Melanie Baccay grounded out, she drove home the game-ending run for an 11-3 victory in six innings.