Maryland baseball left fielder Madison Nickens pushed a bunt down the third-base line and watched Rutgers catcher Nick Matera make an errant throw to first base in the seventh inning of the Terps’ 6-1 win over the Scarlet Knights on Sunday.

Nickens wound up at third base, while designated hitter Will Watson scored to put the Terps ahead. Moments later, third baseman AJ Lee’s squeeze bunt scored Nickens gave Maryland a 3-1 advantage

Coach John Szefc has been hesitant to have his team bunt this season because of its base-stealing success, but that small-ball approach provided enough insurance for the Terps to win the first game of Sunday’s doubleheader. The teams will square off again at 3 p.m.

On several occasions this season, Nickens has squared to bunt with the intention of catching the defense playing too far back. Before Maryland’s three-game series against LSU, Nickens said he’s made it a goal to reach base on infield singles consistently. With a runner on second and one out in a tie game Sunday, Rutgers didn’t seem to think Nickens would bunt. He took advantage.

After Lee’s bunt, the Terps three-run eighth frame pushed the lead to five, which was all the support Maryland’s bullpen would need.

Despite the late outburst, Maryland was unable to replicate Saturday’s early production against Rutgers right-hander John O’Reilly, who allowed one run over seven innings in an outing versus the Terps last season.

Maryland took a one-run advantage when first baseman Brandon Gum scored on a passed ball in the second inning, but its lead was short lived. Terps right-hander Taylor Bloom worked quickly through the first two innings before the Scarlet Knights became more patient, forcing him into deep counts.

Though Rutgers tied the game at one in the bottom of the third, Bloom still had an opportunity to settle in. But he was unable to do so.

Pitching coach Ryan Fecteau called upon left-hander Tayler Stiles with runners on first and third and no outs in the fifth. Over four innings, Bloom allowed six hits and one run while walking two and striking out three.

From there, Stiles took control.

With two outs in the fifth frame, he got first baseman Milo Freeman to swing and miss at three pitches — all of which appeared to be outside the strike zone — to end the scoring threat. As the Terps took the lead later on, he did not allow a run in four innings en route to winning his second game of the year.