When you think of The Chainsmokers, you probably think of dance music.

You’re not wrong, but Memories…Do Not Open, the duo’s debut studio album, takes their style of pop-EDM a step further away from beat-fueled arena bangers, bringing a part of the EDM genre to a wider audience.

The album sees the duo, Andrew Taggart and Alex Pall, shift away from the faster, more party-friendly hits that made them famous like “Setting Fires” and “Don’t Let Me Down.” Memories…Do Not Open boasts songs like “The One” and “Last Day Alive” that use slower beats with stronger vocals from Taggart and the featured artists.

Memories…Do Not Open also shows The Chainsmokers’ ability to span multiple genres by recording with artists such as country superstars Florida Georgia Line, R&B queen Jhené Aiko and the face of pop-rock, Coldplay.

The duo added nine stellar new pop hits with three previously released singles — “The One,” “Something Just Like This” and “Paris” — to create a collection of pop-EDM songs that will keep listeners captivated by the mesmerizing beats and smooth vocals. The project should also garner new listeners for The Chainsmokers, as many of the tracks will fit easily into the fold of dance-pop hits.

Jhené Aiko’s melodic voice pairs extremely well with the dance beat on “Wake Up Alone”, and the country twang of Florida Georgia Line’s Tyler Hubbard and Brian Kelley works well on “Last Day Alive” as well.

Beyond the vocals, Memories…Do Not Open shows The Chainsmokers can stay true to who they are and continue to make the kind of music they have excelled at making up to this point, while still experimenting with their sound.

The Chainsmokers also explore themes similar to those they have used in their past songs. The duo explores the struggles that come with growing up on tracks like “Young” and “Break Up Every Night.” On the songs “Wake Up Alone,” “Bloodstream” and “Honest,” The Chainsmokers’ lyrics are more self-aware than they have been in the past.

Memories…Do Not Open sees The Chainsmokers stepping away from the typical pop-EDM style that characterized their rise to stardom. By embracing a softer pop sound at the core of their music, The Chainsmokers have a unique opportunity to bring the upbeat dance vibes that EDM music does so well to a more mainstream audience.

For longtime fans of The Chainsmokers, Memories…Do Not Open brings a collection of songs that reinforces their ability to craft pop-EDM hits. For newer fans, the album serves as their introduction to EDM-style music.

For The Chainsmokers themselves, the project cements their place at the top of pop music for the time being. Memories…Do Not Open is an intriguing project that bodes well for the success of the pair going forward.

3_5-Shells