Two years before Maryland football quarterback Caleb Henderson arrived in College Park as a redshirt sophomore transfer, he was a timid rookie at North Carolina convinced he couldn’t play at the Division I level.

Marquise Williams, now an NFL journeyman, led the quarterback depth chart in Chapel Hill. Then quarterback Mitch Trubisky, who is projected to be the first quarterback selected in the upcoming NFL draft, seized the starting job.

“Wow, I’m not there,” Henderson thought as he watched his polished teammates earn all the playing time. “Saying that as a true freshman, that kind of knocks your confidence.”

But Henderson feels he’s regained his poise since joining coach DJ Durkin’s program in August. After an NCAA-mandated transfer season on the sideline, Henderson has taken the starting quarterback lead during spring practices and doesn’t want to relinquish his chance.

“It’s been awesome here because I actually feel like I can play with confidence,” Henderson said. “It’s a weird thing, playing with confidence. I haven’t played with confidence in a long time.”

As a four-star recruit from Lake Braddock High School, Henderson garnered interest from the Terps but decided to play for the Tar Heels. He expected his mobility — he ran for 18 touchdowns and almost 1,000 yards as a high school senior — and arm strength — he had 2,159 passing yards and 20 scores — would be assets.

What he didn’t anticipate was sitting behind two NFL prospects. After redshirting in 2014, Henderson attempted one pass — he didn’t complete it — and rushed for 53 yards in two 2015 appearances.

The reserve role frustrated Henderson. Plus, he wanted to be closer to his family in Burke, Virginia.

So, he transferred in August. Maryland was one of his first contacts. He had played under offensive coordinator Walt Bell in 2014 and knew tight end Avery Edwards, who also transferred from the Tar Heels.

The day the program announced quarterback Perry Hills was the 2016 starter, Maryland also welcomed Henderson’s arrival.

That commenced another year on the sidelines, but Henderson believes it was his most beneficial one. He adopted a mental toughness from Williams and a work ethic via a brotherly bond with Trubisky.

But under Hills, Henderson watched the redshirt senior adjust to Bell’s system. He also learned as Hills posted a 12 to four touchdown-to-interception ratio and the Big Ten’s second-best passer rating (140.4).

“Sitting out last year was good because I got to watch people,” Henderson said. “I got to see mistakes and how to not make them.”

His comfort on the field grew as he settled into College Park, about a 45-minute drive from his family. With Hills gone, Henderson hopes that experience translates into a starting role come the season opener at Texas.

“He’s a tough, he’s a fiery, he’s a competitive guy,” said offensive lineman Damian Prince, who’s known Henderson since high school while playing in the DMV area. “I have confidence in Caleb. I have confidence in all three, four, five of our guys.”

Durkin splits spring practice snaps between Henderson and quarterbacks Tyrrell Pigrome and Max Bortenschlager, each of whom started at least one game as a rookie last season. Incoming four-star quarterback Kasim Hill plans to join the mix this summer.

That’s why Henderson’s not settling. He admitted the Terps’ first open practice was sloppy while installing new plays a few weeks ago.

But because he’s run similar offenses at Lake Braddock, North Carolina. and Maryland, Henderson is sure the lapses will subside as his confidence increases.

“All those things in terms of talent, he checks all the boxes,” Durkin said. “He has familiarity with a similar scheme from where he came from, and I think that helps him, too. He’s coming along really well.”