When Maryland men’s lacrosse attackman Louis Dubick stands in front of his locker, he’s reminded of the man who began a more than 60-year family tradition in College Park.

A nameplate for his grandfather, Harry Dubick, who finished his lacrosse career with the Terps in 1951 and died in 2014, hangs above the locker. His father, Marc Dubick, also played lacrosse at Maryland. Their legacies provide motivation and help him appreciate his role with the program.

So, when Louis Dubick received his first-ever start against Ohio State on Saturday in place of injured attackman Colin Heacock, he reminisced on his background.

“I look up and see [my grandfather’s] name every day,” Dubick said. “I just kind of play for him and know that I’m playing for something that’s more than myself.”

After Dubick arrived at Maryland as this state’s all-time high school leader in points (506), goals (254) and assists (252), he asked coach John Tillman to help him acquire the nameplate to honor his grandfather. Tillman, who Dubick said embraces a family atmosphere, obliged without hesitation.

Dubick’s pursuit of first-year playing time, however, was harder to come by. Behind veteran attackmen Matt Rambo, Dylan Maltz and Heacock, Dubick didn’t start a game his freshman campaign, registering seven points in 19 appearances.

The Potomac native also came off the bench in the Terps’ first 11 contests this year. Though he recorded five points, a slight per-game improvement from last season, he struggled to earn consistent playing time.

But after Heacock injured his ankle April 16, forcing him to miss the showdown with Ohio State, Dubick earned his first starting nod.

In the absence of Heacock, who ranks third on the team in points (31), Maryland produced an inconsistent display in an overtime defeat. The squad notched just three second-half goals after recording seven in the opening two frames.

“When you look at Heacock, everyone knows he’s an All-American, so missing him, you’re going to feel that,” long pole Nick Brozowski said. “Not even [just] his playing time or ability, but also his emotional leadership. His presence on the team and on the field is very well known.”

Still, Maryland believes Dubick can become a reliable offensive threat with more experiences like the outing against the Buckeyes.

Brozowski said the sophomore possesses excellent hand-skills and the natural instinct to cut without the ball and find open areas to score. So, if Heacock misses additional time with his injury, the Terps believe Dubick will be a serviceable replacement.

“We have a lot of confidence in Louis,” Tillman said. “He certainly hasn’t logged the minutes that Colin has, but he’s a smart player, he’s very skilled and his teammates have a lot of confidence in him.”

Regardless of his role when Maryland emerges onto the Maryland Stadium field against Johns Hopkins this Saturday, Dubick will maintain a sense of personal satisfaction. After all, he’s following the path of his father and grandfather, who helped shape his love for the sport.

“It’s special to know I’m walking on the field,” Dubick said, “with three generations of experience.”