The Maryland softball team announced Thursday the addition of infielder Mikayla Werahiko, a junior college transfer from Florida Southwestern State College.

The New Zealand native joins the Terps as a two-time Suncoast Conference First Team honoree. She played in 128 games in her two years with the Bucs.

Last week, she helped lead Florida Southwestern to its first FCSAA State Championship while securing the program’s second straight berth to the NJCAA Division I Softball Championship. The cleanup hitter went 1-for-3 in the state title game, scoring a run in the 4-0 win over No. 3 Chipola College.

Werahiko played primarily as a shortstop for the Bucs, but has experience at third base as well. With infielder Anna Kufta vacating the Terps’ shortstop role to play catcher next season, Werahiko could find immediate playing time in an infield that’s also losing seniors Juli Strange and Jordan Aughinbaugh.

“Mikayla will bring a wealth of experience and maturity to what will be a very young and talented team next season,” coach Julie Wright said in a press release.

As a freshman, Werahiko hit nine doubles and five home runs, and produced 53 RBIs. Though her power production dropped this season, she hit .394 with an on-base percentage of .508.

Last July, the rising junior represented New Zealand at the World Cup of Softball XI and the 2016 Women’s Softball World Championship. Werahiko notched a tournament-high three RBIs against Great Britain on July 18, while hitting .474 with four doubles in her seven games at the World Championships.

“Her experiences at the NJCAA national and international levels will translate nicely,” Wright said. “She will add speed, offensive consistency and strong defensive skills at shortstop to our lineup. We are thrilled to have Mikayla join our family.”