While the Maryland women’s soccer team fell into an early hole for the second straight game Friday, it reacted differently against No. 12 Wisconsin than it did in a defeat to Northwestern.

Five days after conceding two first-half goals in a 2-0 loss to the Wildcats, the Terps allowed two conversions in the first 45 minutes against the Badgers.

This time, the Terps erased the deficit thanks to second-half scores from midfielder Gi Krstec and defender Jenna Surdick. Maryland held onto a 2-2 draw after its fifth overtime of the season.

“It was a great game and an exciting game,” Maryland coach Ray Leone said. “We’re not thrilled with just tying, but with the way it started, that’s a pretty good result for us.”

The opening 10 minutes of the contest produced end-to-end action, with each team failing to take its opportunities in front of goal. As time went on, pressure from the Badgers (8-2-1) began to mount.

Eventually, the Terps’ defense folded.

Badgers forward Dani Rhodes notched goals in the 23rd and 26th minutes. From there, the Terps (7-2-2) faced a barrage of Wisconsin crosses and shots.

“The goals were unfortunate,” Leone said. “They were good, they were well-earned. We were playing very well but that’s soccer. You can play well and be down.”

The Badgers managed seven shots to Maryland’s three in the opening period. While they placed just three of those strikes on goal, the visitors were clinical with their two finishes, giving Maryland little room for error.

They went into the half knowing they needed to improve quickly.

“At halftime, we said we don’t want to be in this position again,” midfielder Hope Gouterman said. “We were competing the whole time, we had that motivation and we were trying to protect our home field. We stayed locked in.”

With that mindset, the Terps turned around their play in the second half, dominating possession and converting chances. The performance offered a stark contrast from their scoreless second period against Northwestern.

Leone said the Terps tightened up their defense in the second period, which allowed the rest of the team to find its way back into the game.

With Wisconsin goalkeeper Caitlyn Clem high off her line in the 59th minute, Krstec launched a shot from about 45 yards away, nestling it into the bottom corner. Ten minutes later, Surdick scored from a corner kick to level the match at 2-2.

Each of Wisconsin’s defenders was 5-foot-9 or taller, making them difficult to beat from corners. However, Surdick took her chance when defender Jlon Flippens floated her cross over their heads.

“I was going to be ready for it either way,” Surdick said. “Just hoping it would come to me.”

Neither team found a winner in overtime, though a late free kick opportunity for the Badgers forced a save from Maryland goalkeeper Rachel Egyed.

Prior to the draw, the Terps had not earned at least a point off a ranked opponent since they defeated No. 25 Rutgers in 2014.

“It allows us to kind of believe in ourselves more,” Gouterman said. “Some people don’t have as much experience but understanding that we can compete with the best of the best is important.”