The University of Maryland announced Tuesday the launch of its new center that will research and consult on diversity and inclusion issues in higher education.

The Center for Diversity and Inclusion in Higher Education will serve as a “national hub” for diversity-related research, professional standards and policies, and it will offer consultations to other colleges, according to a news release.

“The focus of the center will be to provide national leadership about key issues that confront higher education,” Chief Diversity Officer Roger Worthington said.

[Read more: UMD students voice concerns about the diversity task force at its second open forum]

Worthington and assistant clinical professor Candace Moore will lead the center, which is housed in the counseling, higher education and special education department.

Its goals include fostering collaborative research among faculty, students and staff on local, national and international levels, as well as sharing the results of this research, according to the news release.

“The Center will establish a national research agenda around diversity issues in higher education and through consultation and conferences, ensure that our research informs and is informed by policy and current issues related to inclusion on campuses,” education college Dean Jennifer Rice said in the news release.

[Read more: UMD students call for required cultural competency training for staff, faculty]

Many leaders who have “expertise in diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education representing diverse communities, governmental agencies, higher education institutions, and international partners” will work with the center, Worthington said in a news release.

“It will not only work from a scholarly or research perspective, it will also provide the opportunity for thought leaders, national scholarly leaders from across the country to come together and talk about and work on problems in that area of diversity and inclusion in higher education,” Worthington said.

Postdoctoral fellows and doctoral-level graduate assistants from around the country will work on this research and other activities related to diversity and inclusion at the center, the news release said.

A biennial summit and conference will also be held to discuss and determine key issues about diversity and inclusion in higher education.

Staff writer Carly Taylor contributed to this article.