Maryland football kicker Henry Darmstadter tried to block out more than 43,000 hollering fans as he lined up to attempt a career-long field goal at Minnesota.

The graduate transfer from Georgetown had never played in such an overwhelming environment. The Hoyas stadium contains 2,500 seats.

Darmstadter said the swirling wind at Minnesota’s TCF Bank Stadium added to the challenge, but his 51-yard attempt sailed through the uprights as time expired in the first half, extending the Terps’ lead to 17-10.

His connection was Maryland’s longest field goal since Brad Craddock made a 57-yarder against Ohio State in 2014, marking an improvement in Maryland’s kicking game after Adam Greene’s early season struggles.

“For Henry to come in and hit that, it was big,” coach DJ Durkin said. “That’s something we haven’t been able to do or have here in a while.”

Maryland started the possession with 58 seconds remaining in the half. While Durkin considered running out the clock to avoid the risk of a turnover, he pushed for a field goal following a Minnesota timeout.

With six seconds left, after the Terps reached midfield, the coaching staff yelled, “Grenade, grenade, grenade,” signaling to the players to fall to the ground and stop the clock if they got another first down.

Running back Ty Johnson sprinted 17 yards on the ensuing play before sliding to the turf.

Darmstadter warmed up as the drive developed, but he didn’t expect to receive a field goal opportunity until punter Wade Lees approached him on the sideline and said to be ready.

When the 5-foot-7 Alexandria, Virginia, native walked onto the field with thousands of burgundy-and-gold-clad fans roaring around him, he didn’t think about the distance of the kick, which was beyond anything he’d ever hit in a game. Instead, he worried the wind would knock his attempt off course.

His effort sliced left but snuck inside the upright. Johnson didn’t realize the conversion’s length until reaching the locker room.

“I was like, ‘Dang. Maybe I should have run a few extra yards or something,'” Johnson said. “He has a cannon for a leg.”

Darmstadter arrived in College Park in the spring as an underdog for the starting kicker position. However, an open competition with sophomore Mike Shinsky and Greene mirrored his battle as a sophomore at Georgetown, which he said helped him earn the role.

He took over in Maryland’s Sept. 9 contest against Towson after Greene missed two of three field goals at Texas.

Despite arriving recently and missing from 34 yards against Central Florida, Darmstadter has formed close connections with his teammates, helping him settle in after leaving his friends at Georgetown. He said Terps players often text him on weekends to include him in their plans.

Wide receiver DJ Moore laughed when asked about Darmstadter, admiring how the kicker remains composed under pressure.

Johnson smiled as he recalled their weekly post-practice ice baths. When the running back splashes cold water on teammates, Darmstadter mocks him with a high-pitched voice.

“It makes me die,” Johnson said. “It’s like a little kids voice and … it’s abnormal because of how good it is.”

Darmstadter took on a more serious persona as he prepared for his kick against Minnesota. He knew making it would cement his role with Maryland after months of hard work.

The Terps were surprised at Darmstadter’s range, but he said he was confident heading into the 51-yard attempt. After all, he’s kicked since eighth grade when he began training with coach Paul Woodside at the Before U Kick program.

When Darmstadter checked his phone after the game, he saw a text from Woodside, who set the NCAA record for field goal makes with West Virginia in 1982.

“You’re living the dream,” Woodside said.

“Yeah,” Darmstadter responded. “Yeah I am.”