Former Maryland men’s basketball guard Jaylen Brantley, who transferred to Massachusetts this past offseason after graduating, has been diagnosed with a career-ending heart condition, per a statement.

“While knowing my basketball career will be over, the fact that I will be able to live a healthy, normal lifestyle does give me peace of mind,” Brantley said in a statement. “It’s certainly a difficult diagnosis to receive, but there is so much I want to do in life and knowing this early will help me in the long term. I thank God that this condition was detected and may have saved my life and, for that, I will be forever grateful.”

The Springfield, Massachusetts, native played two years with the Terps, averaging 4.9 points in 16.8 minutes per game last season, before transferring closer to home for his final year of eligibility. His main motive was to obtain more playing time.

A electrocardiogram test, which is standard at Massachusetts but not necessarily other institutions, detected Brantley’s heart condition during a preseason medical screening.

Massachusetts will still honor Brantley’s scholarship, as Minutemen coach Matt McCall said in a statement Brantley will take on a larger leadership role.

This is the latest obstacle in Brantley’s life, as he’s jumped around to different schools at all levels and lost one of his childhood best friends.