By Gabrielle Wanneh

The University of Maryland’s Muslim Alliance for Social Change hosted an evening of storytelling and celebration for students, faculty and others within the immigrant community.

The event, Untold Stories: The Immigrant Experience, was the second half of a two-part series by MASC, promoting education on immigrant issues.

Sarah Eshera, a senior mathematics and philosophy major, said she started the organization in spring 2017 after noticing a lack of advocacy for Muslim issues, particularly after President Trump was elected.

“In a time where there is more stigma surrounding immigration than ever, we must share these stories and experiences,” Eshera, who serves as the organization’s president, said.

The first event of this MASC series was held as a workshop on immigration laws that took place earlier this month. However, the purpose of the second event was to “showcase and celebrate the real people behind immigration and who it’s really affecting,” Eshera said.

During the event, poets, singers and other artists showcased a variety of performances from spoken word to cultural dances. Each performer had the opportunity to share their personal experiences and overall feelings about immigration.

Sophomore Nimo Hired, a computer science major, performed a spoken word piece, expressing the struggles many immigrant face when having to leave their home country.

Senior Mahmood Kibria, sang two songs — one dedicated to the ongoing struggle occurring in Palestine, while the other was a cover of “One Man Can Change the World” by rapper Big Sean.

“I just wanted to write a piece on what’s going on from the view of a Palestinian,” Kibria said.

Others who attended the event, like freshman Marcos Lorenzana, a student enrolled in letters and sciences, said he was pleased with the positive message it sent.

“I feel like this event is important because it educates people on what immigrants go through,” Lorenzana said.

According to the group’s Facebook page, MASC is an organization seeking to create a politically and civically engaging environment for students, specifically regarding Muslim issues. This event was organized in honor of students with various immigrant backgrounds.

Doha Nassar, a junior education major, said she believed this event was important to share experiences across various immigrant backgrounds.

“I feel like a lot of times immigrants have to overcompensate, so hearing their struggles is just a really good opportunity for them to share their experiences,” Nassar said. “This event can really help people come out of their shell and show the world how they, too, are an essential part of the United States.”