A Prince George’s County judge has delayed by six months the trial for Sean Urbanski, a former University of Maryland student accused of murder, after the defense requested more time.

Urbanski, who is white, is charged with murder and a hate crime in the May stabbing death of 2nd Lt. Richard Collins, a black Bowie State University student.

[Read more: Prosecutors want life without parole for Sean Urbanski in murder of Richard Collins]

The trial was originally set for January, but a judge agreed to postpone it to July after Urbanski’s lawyer, William C. Brennan, said he had to review a large amount of video, WTOP reported.

“We did not object to it because we know there is a lot of materials to go through and we want the defense to have the necessary time they need to prepare,” said John Erzen, spokesman for the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s office.

Collins was killed in the early hours of May 20 on this university’s campus, and Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks previously said prosecutors believed it was racially driven. Collins’ murder was caught on security cameras.

Brennan was not immediately available for comment.

[Read more: “Hatred and tragedy”: following the homicide of Richard Collins III]

Collins, 23, was waiting for an Uber at about 3 a.m. near the Montgomery Hall bus stop on the campus when Urbanski approached him, according to police.

Police said Urbanski, 22, allegedly stabbed Collins in the chest, resulting in Collins’ death.

Urbanski was indicted on murder charges in July and indicted on a hate crime charge on Oct. 17. He could face a life sentence without parole on the murder charges alone, in addition to a 20-year sentence if convicted for a hate crime resulting in death.