A Prince George’s County police officer was shot and killed in Brandywine on Wednesday, police said.

Cpl. Mujahid Ramzziddin was killed while protecting a woman “threatened by a domestic situation,” Prince George’s County Police wrote in a tweet. Responding law enforcement fatally shot the suspect, identified as 37-year-old Glenn Tyndell, who killed the officer, the tweet wrote.

Tyndell had three open warrants for assault, police wrote in a tweet Wednesday afternoon.

With broken hearts, we are announcing that one of our officers was shot and killed today. The brave officer was shot while stepping in to protect a woman threatened in a domestic situation. Please keep his family and our department in your prayers.
— PGPDNEWS (@PGPDNews) February 21, 2018

The suspect who killed our officer was shot and killed by responding law enforcement. More details later.

Update: Suspect who shot and killed our officer is 37-year-old Glenn Tyndell. He had 3 open warrants for assault.

Ramzziddin, who had served in the department for 14 years, was off-duty Wednesday morning when he was approached by a neighbor in need, County Police Chief Henry Stawinski said in a press conference Wednesday.

Upon going to her house, Ramazziddin was shot and killed by Tyndell, who was armed with a shotgun.

“Mujahid stood his ground to defend the life of the individual who had come to him for help,” Stawinski said. “He saved her life by giving his own.”

Tyndell attempted to flee by driving to Charles County, Stawinski said. The Charles County Sheriff’s Office helped Prince George’s County Police track down Tyndell, who was eventually killed in a confrontation with two Prince George’s County Police officers.

County officials praised Ramzziddin, who is a former Marine and Medal of Valor winner, for his sacrifice and commitment to protecting the county. Ramzziddin was assigned to the Special Operations Division, Harbor Unit.

“This is a gentleman who lived his life giving to others, giving service,” County Executive Rushern Baker said during the press conference. “He’s an example of the men and women who put on the uniform every day and go out there and serve. That’s the caliber of the quality we have in this county.”

Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks called the suspect a “gutless coward.” She added that Ramzziddin was a husband and father of four.

“We will continue to honor his service and sacrifice,” she said.

Stawinski said a preliminary investigation shows Tyndell should not have had access to a firearm and has a history of domestic incidents that span multiple jurisdictions.

Prince George’s County Police announced Wednesday that Ramzziddin was posthumously promoted from corporal to sergeant, according to a news release.

The department reported that five fired shotgun shells were found at the location where Tyndell shot Ramzziddin, police said. A home security system video also shows the five shots.

A search team identified and recovered the shotgun used by Tyndell in a nearby creek, according to the release.

Police also said that after killing Ramzziddin, Tyndell stole the department-issued firearm from Ramzziddin’s body. Ramzziddin did not fire his weapon before being killed, police said.

A forensic examination verifies that at least two shell casings from Ramzziddin’s weapon were found on Route 210, where Tyndell was killed in a shootout with county officers.

This story has been updated.