With about three minutes remaining in the third quarter of the No. 2 Maryland men’s lacrosse team’s 13-11 win against No. 5 Villanova on Saturday, faceoff specialist Justin Shockey connected with midfielder Connor Kelly, who was positioned on the left side of the crease.

Kelly, boasting the esteemed No. 1 jersey that’s been held by a number of program greats, fired a strike into the lower-left corner of the net for his 100th career goal. The conversion pushed Maryland’s lead to five goals.

The late-game sequence featured two the Terps’ most impactful forces against the Wildcats. Shockey won seven consecutive faceoffs between the second and third periods, and Kelly ended the day with three goals, helping Maryland avoid a second consecutive loss.

“After last week, it was important to see how we responded,” coach John Tillman said. “For the first example of some adversity for you to deal with, the guys did a good job.”

After last Saturday’s fourth-quarter collapse against No. 1 Albany, Maryland secured the win in advance of next week’s matchup with No. 14 North Carolina. The Terps fell to unranked Villanova last season at the same point in the campaign.

Still, there were flashbacks to the loss to the Great Danes in the opening minutes of the fourth. Villanova midfielder Devin McNamara found the net early in the quarter, and midfielder Colin Crowley cut the deficit to three. In the final minute, the Wildcats found the net three times to set up a closer-than-expected finish.

But unlike against Albany, Maryland responded with its own offensive breakthroughs. Attackman Jared Bernhardt’s fourth goal of the day with about six minutes remaining in the game all but sealed the victory.

Nonetheless, Kelly and Shockey’s dominance proved to be the difference.

Kelly scored Maryland’s first goal less than two minutes into the game, and his aggressive approach in the second half helped the Terps maintain their advantage. His second score with a little more than four minutes remaining in the third came after midfielders Connor Kirst and Jared Nugent scored twice to make it a three-goal game.

Kelly’s third goal enabled Maryland to keep its momentum entering the fourth quarter, when it appeared the Wildcats were poised to make a comeback.

Villanova outshot Maryland, 40-34, but Maryland boasted a 17-11 faceoff advantage.

“Guys are starting to assert themselves,” Tillman said. “Justin, he’s being more confident. Some of the younger guys are starting to settle in.”