Washington midfielder Joey Parish’s shot from outside the box in the 32nd minute was the kind that Maryland goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair routinely removes from danger.

But before St. Clair could even return to his feet after making the save, Huskies forward Scott Menzies collected the rebound and easily slotted a shot into the back of the net.

Maryland returned three starting defenders and its goalie from the 2017 roster, making the back line a should-be strength heading into the new campaign. But defensive lapses allowed No. 24 Washington to score twice in a seven-minute stretch in the first half, dooming the Terps to a 2-0 season-opening loss on the road Friday night.

Six minutes after Menzies’ goal, St. Clair didn’t have an opportunity to redeem himself.

The Terps defense left forward Kyle Coffee unmarked inside the six-yard box, and the redshirt senior finished past a motionless goalkeeper. Maryland (0-1) quickly faced a two-goal deficit in its first game of the season.

Last season’s 4-2 win over Santa Clara remains Maryland’s only win in a season opener in the last six years.

Forward Eric Matzelevich recorded two shots for Maryland in the first 15 minutes of the contest, both of which were off goal. The Terps wouldn’t record a shot for the rest of the first half, while Washington (1-0) pounded St. Clair with seven shots on goal in the opening 45 minutes.

Washington goalkeeper Saif Kerawala didn’t have to make a save until the second half, as Maryland upped the pressure. In the 60th minute, defender Donovan Pines nearly netted a corner-kick goal to cut into the deficit, but Kerawala stopped his header with a diving save.

The Terps dominated time of possession in the second half, finishing the game with a 12-11 advantage in shots, but couldn’t turn their chances into goals. Forwards DJ Reeves and Justin Gielen couldn’t capitalize on prime opportunities inside the box, and the score remained 2-0.

Dating back to last season, Maryland has scored two goals in its last seven games.

The Terps are below .500 for the first time at any point in the season since October 2014. That year, coach Sasho Cirovski’s team started 3-5-2, then won 11 straight.