Angela Alsobrooks, the Democratic nominee in the Prince George’s County Executive race, will officially run unopposed for the position after Republicans failed to nominate a challenger.

County Republicans had until 4:30 p.m. Friday to name an opponent for Alsobrooks, but that didn’t happen, said Daneen Banks, deputy administrator at the Prince George’s County Board of Elections.

The deadline to nominate a candidate is 60 days before the general election, which will be held on Nov. 6, Banks added.

Republican nominee Jerry Mathis withdrew from the race last month, according to The Washington Post. Mathis, a lifelong Democrat who told the Post he ran as a Republican because “a two-party system benefits all Prince Georgians,” described Alsobrooks at the time as “the leader I’ve been waiting for” and expressed confidence in her ability to lead.

[Read more: Angela Alsobrooks wins Prince George’s County executive Democratic primary]

Mathis was the only candidate to have appeared in the Republican primary race. He ran for the Maryland Senate in 2014, losing to incumbent Sen. C. Anthony Muse, a Democrat who represents southern Prince George’s County.

If elected, Alsobrooks would replace current Democratic County Executive Rushern Baker, who was elected in 2010 with no Republican opposition.

“Elections are about ideas,” Baker spokesperson Scott Peterson wrote in an email. “If the Republican Party is going to gain any footing in Prince George’s County, they will need to put forth candidates with ideas that connect with residents.”

Demographic breakdowns of county voters forecast unfavorable terrain for Republicans. Government statistics from April indicate there are 451,361 registered Democratic voters to 40,791 Republicans. The county last elected a Republican in 1978, according to the Post.

[Read more: The Prince George’s county executive primary is June 26. Here are the candidates.]

Alsobrooks had been a clear favorite to win the race since securing the Democratic nomination in June. The 47-year-old state’s attorney defeated eight other candidates, including former Maryland Lt. Gov. Samuel Bogley III and former U.S. congresswoman Donna Edwards.

The Prince George’s County Republican Party did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Throughout her campaign, Alsobrooks has advocated for reforms in health care and public safety. Her campaign spokesperson, John Erzen, stressed improving education as one of his candidate’s chief goals and emphasized a desire to form a closer relationship between the county and this university.

“We’re lucky to have the flagship university in the state,” he said. “We’d like to work with them more on educational initiatives, tech [and] startups, and we’d like to keep people here in Prince George’s County once they graduate.”

Ben Colebrook, president of this university’s chapter of College Republicans, said it was “unfortunate” there’s no Republican challenger for Alsobrooks, and that voters should be more receptive to traditionally Republican ideas, such as lowering property taxes.

“I’d like to see more voters supporting Republican candidates and seeing the damage Democrats do to the county,” Colebrook said. “I don’t see that happening in the immediate future.”