Last season, as Maryland women’s soccer closed its nonconference schedule, the Terps were unbeaten in seven games and looked poised for their first finish at .500 since 2013.

But after the promising start, the squad stumbled throughout the Big Ten slate, finishing with a 1-8-2 record in conference play. Maryland capped its campaign with six consecutive scoreless matches to end the year.

In 2018, the Terps (2-3-3) enter the most difficult part of their season in a very different place. Although Maryland’s on-field results have been worse than last season’s start, coach Ray Leone said the team is better prepared for Big Ten action this time around.

“Our goal for the nonconference [games] was just to be fitter, fresher going into [conference matchups], and just [be] healthy,” Leone said. “So it’s a much better situation than last year.”

A primary factor of Maryland’s second-half demise in 2017 was an off-kilter attack. During nonconference play, the team scored 1.71 goals per game. But over the final 11 contests, that average plummeted to .36.

This year, the Terps have posted a paltry .75 goals per game, the lowest total of all conference teams entering the Big Ten schedule. After finding the net five times in their first three contests, they’ve scored just once in the past five matches. With conference play looming, Maryland will need a turnaround on attack to improve its fortunes.

“Obviously, when we play different teams who have different strengths, then we have to adjust to them,” forward Jarena Harmon said. “But in general, we’re just going to stick to what we have, what we know, and strengthen our strengths and strengthen our weaknesses as well.”

But while scoring hasn’t come in bunches, Maryland’s defense has often kept the Terps in contests. Last year, the backline allowed two goals per game during conference play. Through eight matches in 2018, the team has surrendered one goal per game.

Goalkeeper Rachel Egyed is another vital component of the improved defense. Her resurgent end to nonconference play, in which she allowed two goals in the final 314 minutes, lowered her goals against average to .80, which ranks sixth among Big Ten goalies entering conference play.

To compensate for the offense’s lack of scoring and possession, the redshirt senior often faces a barrage of shots on goal. Her 4.60 saves per game ranks third in the conference.

For them to improve upon their last-place 2017 finish, the Terps will have to alleviate some of the pressure on the defense. Leone said his team’s strategy is to improve last season’s results against each of the repeat opponents on Terps’ schedule.

As for the offense, midfielder Darby Moore said the squad will showcase its improved connectivity going forward, beginning when Maryland starts their Big Ten slate against Iowa on Friday. Only time will tell if that translates to more goals on the scoreboard.

“This year I feel like our team is more connected on and off the field,” said Moore. “And I think it will definitely prove to show in every one of our conference games. We’re going to be ready for any fight we take.”