When midfielder Eli Crognale transferred from Belmont to Maryland men’s soccer after his freshman season, he traded away guaranteed playing time for an unknown future with a well-established program.

Instead of continuing his career in Nashville, Crognale took the chance to attend Maryland, where his older brother Alex played four years before signing with the Columbus Crew.

It wasn’t an easy transition in his first season as a Terp. Crognale was employed in a much smaller role than the one he once held at Belmont. He came off the bench eight times as a sophomore, waiting for his chance.

Now a junior, his wait is over. Crognale has started five of Maryland’s first six games this season. Already on the field more than he was his entire sophomore campaign, Crognale will continue his breakout season when the Terps host Wisconsin on Friday night.

“It was tough being the guy at Belmont and then being almost nobody here at the beginning,” Crognale said. “I just had to work through it and be patient and just wait for my opportunity.”

[Read more: “The light has come on” for Donovan Pines, and now he leads Maryland soccer’s defense]

Despite scoring only one goal in 17 games in his lone year at Belmont, Crognale was a standout player for the Bruins. He led a three-win team with 29 shots, 14 shots on goal and two assists.

Upon his arrival at Maryland, though, Crognale knew he wouldn’t have an immediate impact. He played only 66 minutes during the 2017 campaign, registering a season-high 24 minutes against Cal Poly.

While he didn’t feature often, he took advantage of a seven-minute opportunity in a 3-0 shutout of Rutgers. Coach Sasho Cirovski began to empty his bench late in the contest, giving Crognale his second appearance.

In the 85th minute, Crognale found the net from 25 yards out for his first goal as a Terp. He matched his goal total from one season at Belmont in under 30 minutes on the field for Maryland.

Despite the score, there was also a mixture of poor play that prevented Crognale from having a larger role right away.

“That was always Eli’s problem,” Cirovski said. “He had incredible high moments where he was very, very good, but then he had low moments where he just was very casual.”

[Read more: His mom flew over 4,000 miles. Then, William James Herve scored twice for Maryland soccer.]

Crognale said adjusting to the speed of play and growing physically were the two most challenging parts of his transition to the caliber of soccer Maryland plays. Now as a junior, he is becoming a much more consistent presence on the field.

After featuring for eight minutes off the bench in the season opener, Crognale has tallied at least 64 minutes in the last five matches. When defender Chase Gasper missed the Terps’ game against Northwestern last week, Crognale moved into a defensive midfield position and played the entire game, helping Maryland to a 2-1 overtime win.

“He waited for what he had to do and practiced really hard and finally got his chance,” defender Donovan Pines said. “I’m happy for him. He’s playing well ever since he started this season.”

Cirovski consistently assures his players they’ll eventually get a chance in the lineup. Crognale understood that when his came, he’d need to make the most of it.

Now in his second year in College Park, Crognale is back in a role similar to the one he once held as a freshman at Belmont. With a year of waiting behind him, he is taking full advantage of the increased responsibilities midway through the season.

“Right now he’s been one of our most consistent midfielders over the last few games,” Cirovski said. “He’s earned his right to play.”