Widely regarded as one of the most malevolent villains in fiction, the Joker has taken on a variety of interpretations over the character’s existence. Jack Nicholson played the part in Tim Burton’s 1989 Batman, and Mark Hamill began voicing him in 1992, but Heath Ledger is widely recognized as the supreme Joker for his portrayal in The Dark Knight.

The newest name to add to the list is three-time Oscar nominee Joaquin Phoenix. Phoenix will star in the aptly named film Joker, directed by Todd Phillips. The origin story-style movie will follow Arthur Fleck’s journey in a tale of character development, ending with him becoming the criminal mastermind we all know and love (to hate). What isn’t known is which other characters from the Batman universe will be included in the film.

The news that Phoenix was tapped to play the character was released earlier this summer, but anticipation grew rapidly following a teaser trailer showing how he looks in the infamous clown makeup. His appearance roughly mimics the interpretation of the villain Ledger took, with long and dark green hair, but brighter eye and mouth makeup.

Joining Phoenix in the film are a multitude of stars from different entertainment genres — Robert De Niro, Atlanta star Zazie Beetz, and comedian and podcast host Marc Maron are on the cast list.

This is not the only Joker-inspired film to be in the works. Jared Leto and Margot Robbie are set to star as the Joker and Harley Quinn — characters they previously played in the 2016 film Suicide Squad — in a spinoff oddly described as a mix between Bad Santa and This is Us, according to writer Glenn Ficarra. Leto’s interpretation of the villain in Suicide Squad did not carry much weight among Batman fans, as his youthful appearance and misplaced speaking tone felt like a disservice to the character Ledger portrayed brilliantly.

Viewers should be excited, however, for the potential of the Phillips film. The director of the Hangover movies and War Dogs will likely infuse the film with the dark and twisted kind of humor that fits the Joker’s personality. Plus, Phoenix seems qualified to take the lead in this film. He’s a talented actor who has a mysterious quality to him, with worn eyes making him look older than his 43 years.

The film is set to debut in October 2019, so be sure to keep an eye out for an official trailer.