Rick Jaklitsch, a high-level Maryland booster and an attorney in Upper Marlboro, didn’t travel with the Maryland football team to Michigan this weekend after players became “outraged” because of Jaklitch’s comments regarding late offensive lineman Jordan McNair in a Diamondback article last week, according to ESPN.

In that story, Jaklitsch insinuated that McNair could be held accountable for the heatstroke he suffered at a May 29 team workout, expressed support for coach DJ Durkin and refuted reports of a “toxic” culture in the football program.

“As much as we hate to say this, Jordan didn’t do what Jordan was supposed to do,” Jaklitsch said last week, citing McNair’s gallon of water being found unopened in his locker and McNair telling trainers he hadn’t eaten that day since breakfast.

Asked to clarify those statements Sunday night, Jaklitsch told The Diamondback he didn’t “know what there is to clarify.”

“We were talking about how so many little, tiny pieces — like in a mosaic — come together to form a tragedy,” Jaklitsch said. “We have to remember what a tragedy it is to lose a great kid like Jordan, and a great teammate and a great friend.

“It’s nobody’s fault. People should stop hunting for scalps and realize it’s just a tragedy,” Jaklitsch continued. “That’s part of life and part of God’s plan. But we have to keep Jordan’s family in our prayers, we should keep DJ Durkin and his family in our prayers, and, you know, just support our Terps. That’s what it’s all about.”

Jaklitsch acknowledged he didn’t want to distract the players by traveling to Michigan as part of their travel group, disputing ESPN’s characterization of him not being allowed to travel and saying it was a decision he came to himself.

“There were as many factual errors as there were in the original article when they indicated that Maryland had a toxic culture,” Jaklitsch said.

A university spokesperson declined to comment on Jaklitsch not traveling with the team.

Since Durkin was placed on administrative leave Aug. 11 following two ESPN reports that highlighted missteps made by athletic training staff when treating McNair and alleged a “toxic” culture led by strength and conditioning coach Rick Court, Jaklitsch and other Champions Club members have stuck by the embattled head coach.

As part of the Champions Club, a football-specific booster club that pledges $25,000 per year for at least five years, Jaklitsch and other members cast doubt on the initial ESPN reports.

Jaklitsch also claimed he will be back at Maryland Stadium for the Terps’ homecoming game against Rutgers this weekend.

“If people were uncomfortable, I’m going to support the team any way I can,” Jaklitsch said. “And if supporting them by not making people uncomfortable, that’s the way I’ll support them. I’m certainly not going to be selfish. I care about the players, care about the coaches and care about Maryland.”