Maryland men’s soccer coach Sasho Cirovski knew it would take time this season to develop his offense after losing three of his top four scorers from 2017 to professional opportunities.

Cirovski has made many attempts to stimulate his attack, including new formations and personnel changes to include more forwards and give different players an opportunity to thrive. More than halfway through the season, the connections still weren’t there.

“I certainly expected us to be a little further along than we are,” Cirovski said Oct. 10 before the Terps’ 2-1 loss to Indiana.

But Maryland’s season-long struggle to establish cohesion in the final third is finally paying dividends, as the team has scored six goals in its past two games. With similar chemistry, the Terps can earn their first three-game winning streak of the season Tuesday against Penn State.

“It always takes time to build relationships in soccer, so it was expected,” senior Chase Gasper said. “But I’m happy that at a very important time in the season, we’re clicking and banging in a lot of goals.”

[Read more: Maryland men’s soccer hopes its offense turned a corner by shellacking Ohio State]

After tallying only 11 goals in 13 games entering the weekend, Maryland broke out for a season-high five against Ohio State on Friday. The combination play looked sharper than it had all season, as the Terps strung together consistent quality passes in the attacking third.

Maryland didn’t rely on one scorer against the Buckeyes. Four different Terps found the back of the net, the most goal scorers Maryland has had in a game since a 4-0 win over Northwestern on Sept. 30, 2016.

Without the same offensive firepower that there was in the past, Maryland has had to nurture relationships throughout the year. With two games left in the regular season, it’s starting to materialize into confidence.

“I really like where our team is right now,” Cirovski said. “You can see there’s a little mojo happening with them. They’re starting to believe. They’re coming together.”

[Read more: Maryland men’s soccer runs rampant in 5-0 win over Ohio State on Senior Night]

With how sturdy Maryland’s defense continues to be, midfielder Amar Sejdic said the team’s potential is endless nearing a potential postseason run if the offense can maintain its current form.

But the Buckeyes were a one-win team, so Sejdic, a team captain, has stressed the importance of focus entering the final week of the regular season.

“Consistency at this point is what I have to preach as a leader of this team, and we can’t get complacent with this result,” Sejdic said. “Yeah, it’s great to be happy and whatnot, but we still got a long road to go.”

While Gasper shined offensively with a three-assist performance, he also helped secure the team’s seventh shutout in 14 games in 2018. Maryland goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair didn’t have to make a single save for the second time this season.

Maryland’s back line has kept the team in games throughout the year — the team has conceded two goals or fewer in every contest this season. The last time the Terps made it through a full season without giving up three goals in a game was 2003.

“If you want to go far in any league, any competition, you always need to have a strong defense,” Gasper said. “All the guys on the back line, every game [I’m] super proud of them. We always make it a point to go up to each other and high-five and say, ‘Hey, great job, way to get the shutout.’”

The Terps were able to blank Penn State last year on the road, but they’ll get to host the Nittany Lions in what could be the final home game at Ludwig Field this season. Penn State has allowed only one goal in its last five games, but Maryland appears to be hitting a peak at the right time.

“You’re seeing a team that is starting to show the benefits of a really hard schedule,” Cirovski said. “Right now, we’re in a good place.”