Maryland volleyball entered its Sunday match against Iowa ranked No. 11 in the Big Ten with 2.24 blocks per set.

The Terps had registered just 14 total blocks in their previous three matches combined and came into Sunday’s contest on a skid, having lost four of the past five matches.

But the Terps flipped the script against the Hawkeyes, recording 12 blocks in the three-set sweep and dominating Iowa at the net.

“In practice, we were definitely working on blocking and knowing the scouting report for the hitters,” middle blocker Rainelle Jones said.

[Read more: Erika Pritchard’s 20 kills power Maryland volleyball past Iowa, 3-0]

The Terps struggled to contain opposing hitters during their tough road stretch. Maryland lost two of the three matches.

As the fourth-easiest team to block in the Big Ten, the Hawkeyes presented a good opportunity for the Terps to regain their net prowess. So, Maryland keyed in on its blocking game as it prepared for the match, hoping to find an edge.

“We definitely worked on it a lot in practice, so it was nice that it showed,” outside hitter Liz Twilley said.

[Read more: No. 6 Illinois played suffocating defense against Maryland volleyball]

Iowa was without star outside hitter Cali Hoye, who is sixth in the conference in kills per set, aiding Maryland’s effectiveness at the net. With one main attacking threat to defend, the Terps almost entirely neutralized outside hitter Taylor Louis. Louis averages 3.74 kills per set, but recorded only 5 kills and hit -.094 against Maryland.

The Terps’ solid defensive afternoon was punctuated by their digging ability. Maryland recorded 52 digs, just the third time the Terps have exceeded 50 digs in a three-set match.

The previous two times they eclipsed the 50-dig mark in a sweep, the Terps had registered four and six blocks, respectively. But against the Hawkeyes, they were able to shut down the opposition in their best all-around defensive performance of the season.

“If you have a lot of digs, you probably don’t need a lot of blocks,” head coach Adam Hughes said. “But we were doing both. I thought we were getting good touches, we were staying in front and sealing off some blocks.”

Jones, a freshman, led the Terps with eight blocks. That matched her career high, which she set in a five-set win over Ohio State on Sept. 29.

Jones had totalled just six blocks in the Terps’ previous five matches, including her first blockless college match against Michigan State. While she’s emerging as a defensive force for Maryland, Hughes was quick to point out the freshman’s room for improvement on the offensive end.

“I thought that was her best blocking match by far,” Hughes said. “But the coach in me also said she had no kills so now I’m going to get on her about doing more things.”