As Mark Turgeon walks onto the court at Xfinity Center before Maryland men’s basketball games, his eyes look first at the steep wall of students behind one basket, gauging the crowd. Then, he checks the baseline, hoping to see a good turnout.

For the past three seasons, those crowds haven’t been as consistent.

Maryland led the Big Ten with 17,863 fans per home game in 2015-16. The next year, that average fell to 16,628, dropping the Terps to second in the conference. Last season, Maryland’s 14,676 fans per game ranked fifth.

So in the buildup to the 2018-19 season, which starts Tuesday against Delaware, Turgeon has made an effort to pack Xfinity Center — especially the student section. He’s increased social media presence and pushed for student-only events such as the Midnight Mile and an open practice Thursday. The message has been clear: Fill the wall.

“If they come see this team, they’ll like this team,” Turgeon said after Thursday’s open practice. “When that student section’s full, it’s a lot of fun.”

[Read more: Maryland basketball vs. Delaware: How to watch and what to watch for]

Turgeon brought back the Midnight Mile, a tradition started by coach Lefty Driesell, in mid-October to drum up fan support. Hundreds of students ran around Kehoe Track, mingling with the players who jogged alongside them.

On Oct. 25, Turgeon handed out donuts in front of McKeldin Library. Each donut had a label with “Maryland Madness,” which took place the next day, or the Terps’ first game against the Blue Hens.

And his open practice — which offered students free pizza, T-shirts and a chance to see the Terps in action — devolved into a coach’s clinic. Holding a mic the entire time, he explained to the crowd of hundreds of students how the drills worked and offered feedback to his young team.

Perhaps remembering the boos that rained down when the Terps trailed No. 17 Michigan by 30 points at halftime during their final home game of last season, Turgeon invited the present fans to cheer during the scrimmage portion of the practice. A few of them obliged.

Last year’s 19-13 finish likely was a big factor in the decrease in attendance. Fans found other things to do than watch Maryland’s up-and-down campaign result in no postseason bid for the first time since 2014.

“Three of the last four years have been really good. It’s not like we won nine games last year — we won 19. We’re disappointed. But with that said, I want to get the students engaged with this team,” Turgeon said. “I would love for them to jump on [Tuesday] night. We’ll see.”

[Read more: Three takeaways from Maryland men’s basketball’s exhibition victory over Division II Lynn]

As turmoil grips Maryland football following the death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair, two external investigations and coach DJ Durkin’s firing, there seems to be a chance for Turgeon to recapture some of the fans’ devotion.

At the end of Thursday’s open practice, the Terps’ eighth-year coach addressed the students present and called for unity. He asked students to attend Saturday’s football game against Michigan State, before pleading for support for his squad Tuesday.

“We’re not running and hiding from anything, OK? We’ve got to stick together now more than ever, all right?” Turgeon said, a hint of defensiveness sneaking into his voice. “If anyone takes a shot at your university, stick up for it. Phenomenal university. We do a lot of great things.”

When Turgeon walks onto Gary Williams Court on Tuesday, he hopes to see a packed student wall, which would be a positive sign for things to come.

“When our building’s rocking, it’s one of the top five buildings in the country. And I know because I’ve coached everywhere,” Turgeon said Thursday. “Students can help us get there.”