When Tyrrell Pigrome entered Maryland football’s game on Saturday, the team was trailing 21-6 and had failed to find the end zone. While Pigrome couldn’t quite lead the Terps to victory, they outscored the Hoosiers 26-13 and picked up three touchdowns with him under center.

The redshirt sophomore completed 77 percent of his passes and averaged 14.6 yards per completion on Saturday. He had a pretty strong game all-around until his unfortunate fumble on what ended up being Maryland’s last offensive snap.

Pigrome came in with Maryland facing third-and-7 and wasted no time showing off the speed that makes him a dual-threat passer.

Pigrome also had success connecting with freshman Dontay Demus, who enjoyed a breakout game of four receptions for 98 yards, including a 51-yard gain in the fourth quarter.

Two plays later, Pigrome teamed up with another freshman wideout — Jeshaun Jones — to give Maryland its first lead of the day (although really, Jones deserves most of the credit for this one).

And later in the fourth quarter, Pigrome again used his legs to extend a play and pick up another first down, this time on a very solid 21-yard gain to Demus.

The Terps simply don’t pass very often — they’re averaging 20.4 pass attempts per game and throwing the ball on 33.6 percent of their plays — so their quarterback isn’t really going to be expected to sling the ball around like Mike Leach is coaching the team. Whether it’s Pigrome, Hill or someone else, whoever takes the snaps for Maryland has limited opportunities to make an impact on the game, so they have to make their passes count. Pigrome did just that.

Matt Canada’s star on offense Saturday was unquestionably Anthony McFarland, but Pigrome’s 10-for-13 line was efficient and put the Terps in a position to win (until that fumble). It was ultimately for naught, but Pigrome put together a performance that nearly ended with Maryland punching its ticket to a bowl game.