Former Maryland football running back Trey Edmunds has been promoted to the Pittsburgh Steelers’ 53-man roster.

Edmunds has been on the practice squad all season, but will now join the Steelers with the team needing depth at the running back position. The team has been without star Le’Veon Bell all year, and second-year man James Conner has been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the Raiders.

Edmunds played at Maryland during the 2016 season, rushing for 158 yards and one touchdown in five games before suffering a season-ending foot injury. He came to College Park as a graduate senior after rushing for 957 yards and 13 touchdowns at Virginia Tech from 2013 to 2015.

The Danville, Virginia, native was not selected in the 2017 NFL Draft, but he signed with the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent. Edmunds made the team and played on special teams for a few weeks before scoring his first NFL touchdown on a 41-yard run on Nov. 12, 2017 against the Buffalo Bills.

Edmunds had nine carries for 48 yards and a touchdown in that game. Those are still the only nine carries in his NFL career.

The Saints waived Edmunds in September, and the Steelers quickly signed him to their practice squad two days later.

The former Terp will join Jaylen Samuels and Steven Ridley as the three running backs on Pittsburgh’s active roster for Sunday’s game against Oakland. He’s one of three former Maryland players on the roster; starting free safety Sean Davis played in College Park from 2012 to 2015, and backup wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey was a Terp from 2006 to 2008.

The promotion also reunites Edmunds with his brother Terrell Edmunds, a rookie safety for the Steelers who played at Virginia Tech for three season. A third brother, Tremaine Edmunds, is a first-year linebacker for the Buffalo Bills. All three played together in 2015 with the Hokies.