Last year, floor was Maryland gymnastics’ weakest event, the only area in which the team ranked outside of the top 36.

But it was also the area where the Terps had their highest score of any event that season — a 49.4 at the Maryland Five meet in late March.

This year, Maryland again started slow on floor, failing to break 49 in the first four meets. But the Terps’ turnaround on the event Friday propelled it to a season-high overall score, and they hope to turn that into consistent success rather than the up-and-downs they experienced last year.

“We worked on staying calm throughout the routine,” sophomore Collea Burgess said. “Showing off our presentation — having good jumps, full splits, making our jumps all the way around and limiting all sorts of deductions.”

[Read more: After an unpredictable four years, Maryland gymnastics leans on its seniors for leadership]

Two weeks prior to competing against Ohio State, the Terps posted a 48.1 on floor, their lowest event score of the season. But they rebounded against Rutgers and built upon that success to break out against Ohio State, scoring a 49.075 on floor and a 195.95 overall.

“I think everybody is [improving],” coach Brett Nelligan said. “If you look at the whole team, everybody’s finding their rhythm.”

Part of the improvement can be attributed to the return of senior Alex Robinson, who hadn’t competed in more than two years before Feb. 2 of this season. She’s posted a pair of 9.8s since.

Maryland now travels to No. 16 Minnesota to see if it can compete with one of the best teams in the nation. The last time it was away from Xfinity Center, Maryland struggled on beam, posting a 48.5 at Rutgers despite having no falls. The Terps posted five 9.7s, but nothing any higher.

[Read more: “The sky’s the limit”: With a rough stretch behind it, Maryland gymnastics is thriving]

They also have reason for optimism on the beam after a 48.825 last week, and with senior Shynelle Agaran — who posted eight marks of at least 9.8 on beam last year — continuing to work through injury and being almost competition-ready.

The team credits its improvement on beam to an emphasis on focus and details.

“[We’ve worked on] staying confident on beam, staying sharp,” Burgess said. “Focusing [on] one skill at a time, following our cues, and minimizing steps or hops on the dismount.”

If the Terps can continue to improve their consistency on floor and beam while maintaining their relative strengths on vault and bars, they will be in good shape to match last season’s success in the regular and postseason.

“We just beat Ohio State and got our season-high last weekend,” senior Megan McClelland said. “I think we can just go up from here.”