The Diamondback is the independent student newspaper at the University of Maryland. Online, it's updated daily at dbknews.com; in print, it's published each Monday during the fall and spring semester.
With a print circulation of 8,000 and copies available at more than 60 locations, The Diamondback reaches a wide audience throughout the campus and around College Park. Its website receives more than three million page views yearly from readers across the world.
The Diamondback covers a range of issues relevant to students, including campus life, the administration, university sports teams and the city of College Park. The newsroom is located on the third floor of the South Campus Dining Hall.
Originally published in 1910 as The Triangle, The Diamondback was renamed in 1920 to honor the school's mascot. The first editor was Millard E. Tydings, who later became a U.S. congressman.
The newspaper gained independence from the university in 1972 after the university administration and state legislators opposed pornographic content that ran in another campus publication, the Argus. The Board of Regents approved a plan to cut financial ties with campus publications by incorporating them and thus, removing the university's responsibility as publisher. When the Student Government Association stopped funding the newspaper through the student activities fee, Maryland Media Inc. was created to manage the Diamondback's business activities.
Notable Diamondback alumni include investigative journalist and author Carl Bernstein, author and creator of The Wire David Simon, ESPN columnist Norman Chad, author and creator of The Boondocks Aaron McGruder, author Jeff Kinney and Washington Post managing editor Emilio Garcia-Ruiz. Former staff members have gone on to work at a variety of publications, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, Newsday, the New York Daily News, Politico and The Baltimore Sun.
Newsroom — (301) 314-8200
Advertising and business office – (301) 314-8000
Digitized versions of The Diamondback from 1910 to 1998, provided by University Libraries and University Archives, can be viewed in a searchable database here.