The university recently renewed a 10-year contract with Pepsi.

Coke or Pepsi?

No matter which side of the debate you fall on, the university community will be drinking Pepsi for the next 10 years under a renewed contract with the soft drink company.

Effective August 1, the university began a new 10-year agreement with The Pepsi Corporation to provide beverages on campus with an added exclusivity policy for all activities on campus.

According to an email, signed by Linda Clement, vice president of student affairs, “only beverages produced or distributed by Pepsi … may be purchased using University funds or served, dispensed or otherwise made available with or without charge at events on the College Park Campus.”

The policy applies to contractors, licensees, caterers and others, including the fast food restaurants that operate in Stamp Student Union’s food court.

“Carbonated soft drinks, bottled waters (still, sparkling and flavored), non-carbonated beverages, juices, ready to drink coffees and teas, energy drinks, sports drinks, energy chews and isotonics” sold or served on campus must be Pepsi brands, according to the email.

Milk-based products, smoothies and fresh-squeezed juices are among the products excluded from the policy.

The bidding process was private and Clement could not share any details, though critics questioned whether faculty and students were amply consulted in the process of signing the long term agreement.

“It was competitive bid process conducted by Procurement Office and there were multiple prospects,” Clement said, declining to say whether Coca-Cola was a prospect.

For Coke lovers, the new policy poses a problem, said Donald Manildi, curator for the university’s International Piano Archives and a Coke aficionado.

“I guess I will have to continue to bring my Coke to campus to for the next 10 years,” Manildi said.

Manildi has been working for the university for the past 20 years. He recalled another long-term contract with PepsiCo in the 1990s. He said he believes there may have been some financial compensation involved for the university to continue such a long-term, exclusive contract with Pepsi.

Michael Okwali, a freshman computer science major, said students and faculty should have a say regardless of the brand they prefer.

“I’d prefer to have a choice,” said Okwali, who drinks Pepsi.

PepsiCo Inc. saw net income of $2.01 billion in the second quarter of 2013, according to Reuters, and The Coca Cola Co. reported $2.68 billion in net income for the second quarter, a drop from $2.79 billion last year.

newsumdbk@gmail.com