Defender Suli Dainkeh guards a UC Irvine player in the Terps’ 1-0 victory over the Anteaters in the NCAA tournament third round on Dec. 1, 2013 at Ludwig Field.

The Terrapins men’s soccer team developed a habit of creating late-game drama during its 2013 campaign.

All but six of the Terps’ 23 games this season have been decided by one goal or fewer — nine wins, five draws and all three losses. So the Terps were in familiar territory Sunday night at Ludwig Field, holding onto a 1-0 lead late in regulation against UC Irvine in the NCAA tournament third round.

Early in the season, though, the Terps struggled to close out games. They lost in overtime at California on Sept. 1 and again at home against Virginia Commonwealth on Sept. 8, surrendering three goals to the Rams in the final 13 minutes of action in a shocking 3-2 loss.

But coach Sasho Cirovski noted the Terps are a much different team than they were several months ago, in terms of both personnel and attitude. And as a result, the group fended off a vicious second-half attack from the Anteaters — who scored 11 of their 33 goals this year in the final 15 minutes of play — earning yet another one-goal victory and a spot in the NCAA quarterfinals, which are Saturday afternoon.

“I give credit to Irvine for throwing some numbers forward and challenging us in the second half,” Cirovski said. “I thought we stood strong. I think you’ve seen the resiliency of this team, the growth of it. We were very composed.”

The Terps dominated the first half against the Anteaters — something UC Irvine coach George Kuntz attributed to a combination of nerves and cold weather — and had a number of opportunities in the closing moments of the period to extend their lead to two goals.

Forward Patrick Mullins found fellow forward Jake Pace at the top of the 18-yard box with four minutes remaining in the half. Pace left a slow-rolling pass for midfielder Alex Shinsky, who took a one-time strike headed for the bottom right corner, but goalkeeper Michael Breslin dove right and caught the bullet.

Midfielder Dan Metzger, who scored both his goals this season on long-range shots, also had a good look from around 30 yards on a bouncing ball, but his effort sailed over the goal.

“We knew they were going to make a run,” Cirovski said. “We had a couple of chances maybe to get the second goal that we could have taken better and relieved some pressure. We could have been a little bit better with the ball at times and kept it.”

But behind a solid second-half performance from goalkeeper Zack Steffen — who made five saves in the game for his eighth shutout of the season — the Terps overcame the Anteaters’ late-game offensive push.

Kuntz moved a midfielder forward for the second half, which caused problems for the Terps during the first 30 minutes of the period, but Cirovski responded by moving midfielder Tsubasa Endoh to a more defensive position in line with Metzger for the final 15 minutes of regulation — a tactical change that solidified the Terps defensively and prevented the Anteaters’ aggressive formation from doing much damage.

“These were games at the beginning of the year that we would have found a way to lose,” Cirovski said. “And now we’re finding ways to win.”

Mullins said that Sunday night’s win perfectly represented the Terps’ growth this season. The senior forward — who will have a chance to win a second straight MAC Hermann trophy after the NSCAA named him one of 15 semifinalists for this year’s award — noted his team’s early-season struggles. But he said without those low points, the Terps wouldn’t be having the success they are enjoying now.

“We’ve been through just about every situation you can be this season,” Mullins said. “I think that’s prepared us for now. We’ve learned from every experience, and I think we’re playing our best soccer at the end of the year. We’ve always said we’ve wanted to do that in my four years here, and I can truly say that this year we are especially doing that.”